JOB SUMMARY: The Valparaiso Union Information Desk is the information center for the campus community and the only source of information to telephone callers to the University after 5:00 p.m. weekdays and on weekends. As Information Desk employees, you are expected to provide accurate information in a timely manner and to facilitate the use of the wide variety of services that are available. The Information Desk Attendant's primary responsibility is providing quality customer service to all users of the Union. The attendant is responsible for providing accurate information to customers, properly handling cash and the cash register, and properly managing the inventory of all Info Desk products.
SUPERVISION: This position reports directly to the InfoDesk Manager and Assistant Director of the Union.
HOURS: 15-20 hours per week plus duty rotations
- Dependability - follow through
- Attention to detail and ability to accept direction
- Positive image and tidy appearance
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, as well as part of a team with other Union staff
- Effective communication skills
- Willingness to work and learn
- Minimum cumulative G.P.A of 2.0
- Ability to work weekdays, evenings and weekends
- Provide accurate information to questions, both from telephone requests and visitors to the Union, about the University and the Union and all of their programs and services.
- Accurately manage the cash operation of the Info Desk which involves use of the cash register and inventory management.
- Assist customers with copier questions and problems.
- Operate a fax machine upon request from customers or VU staff.
- Monitor the loan and return of magazines and keys.
- Maintain the building's Lost and Found service.
- Work with the Information Desk Manager, the Building Managers (BM) and the Assistant Director regarding the operation of the Info Desk and the Union facility and its policies.
- Provide visual security of the Union lounges and their furnishings.
- Attend all scheduled meetings and training sessions.
- Assist with special projects requested by the Info Desk Manager, the BMs, the Director's Office staff or the Assistant Director.
- Assist Housekeeping Staff and Building Managers with set-up duty when available.