There are a number of steps that every event planner should follow from the very beginning, no matter what the event. Events are more likely to be successful when they are well thought out and these steps are followed.
1. Determine needs and interests of the group(s) for which you are planning events.
2. Set goals.
3. Brainstorm ideas.
4. Meet with the group with which you are working to discuss ideas.
5. Contact booking agents (if applicable) to arrange for entertainment/speakers.
6. Prepare a budget that forecasts expense versus income.
7. Make sure the space you want for the event is available. Note: Don’t book anything until you know you have the space you need.
8. Make alternative indoor plans if the event is to be outside. Make sure you set a time when you will call off the outdoor event.
9. Reserve all necessary equipment you will need for the event. If you need to rent outside equipment, make sure it is covered in your budget.
10. Make sure you review all contracts and riders to make sure you know everything they want.
11. Delegate tasks to your committee. This is a good way to keep everyone involved and helps to retain members.
12. Give information to the appropriate department for promotion, publicity, and advertising.
13. Request check(s). Make sure that you submit your request early enough so that you will have the check on the date you need it.
14. Arrange for food. On-campus work with Dining Services if the event is on-campus and with the appropriate department at the place the event will take place.
15. Design an effective promotional campaign.
16. Make plans to follow-up on delegated tasks. Establish a check-list with day, dates that tasks should be completed by and who will accomplish the tasks.
17. Prepare the room for the program (decorations, check set-up, etc.) Make sure you know the rules and regulations, regarding what is permissable and what is not.
18. Conduct the program - be able to enjoy the day of the program. If you have completed all your work prior to the event, it will allow you to relax and evnjoy the event (sit back and put your feet up and relax).
19. Breakdown and cleanup after the event.
20. Evaluate the event and process the outcome.
21. Recognize those who helped. Thank you's always go a long way.