Solicitation Policy

No solicitation or canvassing of any kind, including canvassing in residence halls, may be conducted on a campus, nor may articles, goods or services be offered for sale by anyone without prior permission from the Office of Student Affairs. This includes sales of items by campus groups in the Valparaiso Union. Raffles are prohibited.

Because the safety and privacy of the students is paramount, no solicitation or canvassing in residence halls, may be conducted on campus, nor may articles, goods and services be offered for sale by anyone in residence halls without prior permission from the Office of Student Affairs. Solicitation in residence halls may only be conducted for events sponsored by campus groups, can only occur in the lobby areas on the main floor, and must be approved by an RLC or AC. The door-to-door distribution of information must undergo the same approval, and is limited to those residents whose doors are open at the time of solicitation. Solicitation may only occur on days and at times agreed upon by the groups and the RLC/AC at least one week before solicitation takes place. Flyers may not be distributed door-to-door.

Each authority in charge of a campus building shall establish a written policy for that building concerning all publicity by campus-affiliated groups or individuals. A copy of this policy shall be posted in a readily accessible location in the building and shall be submitted to the Vice President for Student Affairs. The policy shall be updated when necessary.

Students should be aware of the solicitors who traditionally target college campuses and often fail to deliver their promised goods and services. These individuals include some vendors of perfume and cosmetics, magazines, and telephone calling services. If you are approached by one of these individuals, please report the individual(s) to VUPD. It is also helpful to call an RA or an RLC/AC to report the solicitor.

Table Tent Advertising - Valparaiso Union

Table tents are placed on 50 tables in the seating and dining areas of the Union. Table Tents displays are three-pronged acrylic frames offering five advertising opportunities per frame for

VU departments and Student Senate recognized organizations.

In an effort to provide a neat and tidy appearance in the Union, the Union Advisory Board has developed the following policies in regards to Table Tent Advertising.

1.       Table Tent advertising space in the Union MUST BE RESERVED through the Union Director's Office and are available on a first-come/first-served basis. The Union staff will both place and remove the Table Tents. Unapproved Table Tents will be removed and discarded without notice.

2.       Table Tents are for advertising University related EVENTS only. Weekly meetings, general information, organization promotion, etc. are not considered events in this case and will not be approved.

3.       Content of a Table Tent must include:

·         group sponsoring the event

·         event title

·         event date

·         event time

·         event location

·         any additional comments

4.       Table Tents will be displayed weekly from Monday through Sunday. Final printed materials (50 copies) must be delivered to the Union Director’s Office the Wednesday prior to the start date of the reservation.

5.       Table Tents can range in size from 4 ¼” x 5 ½” to 5”x7”(width x height.) Templates are available in Microsoft Publisher. Union Adworks can print and cut Table Tents for a fee. For Adworks printing, a final copy must be submitted to the Union Director’s Office TEN DAYS prior to the start date of your reservation.

6.       It is highly recommended that you bring in a "sample" copy of the Table Tent to the Union Director's Office for approval prior to printing to verify all requirements are met.

7.       The Union is not responsible for approved Table Tents that are taken or removed.

8.       The Union staff reserves the right to limit the use of any department or organization that may be monopolizing Table Tent space.

Questions can be referred to the Union Director's Office at x5007 or the Union Associate Director at x5150.