Strategies for Academic Success (GS-100)
Spring 2023 Schedule of GS-100 Courses
|GS-100-A||Mon & Wed||1:30 – 2:20 p.m.||1/16/23 – 3/1/23|
|GS-100-B||Tue & Thu||11:30 – 12:20 p.m.||3/21/23 – 5/4/23|
|GS-100-C||Tue & Thu||3:05 – 3:55 p.m.||3/21/23 – 5/4/23|
Strategies for Academic Success (GS-100) is a 1-credit learning strategies and study skills course appropriate for Valpo students who want to enhance their academic achievement. Through focused discussion on course materials, peer interaction, skill development, self-assessment, visits to campus resources, and other activities, students will discover and integrate best practices for achieving their college goals. GS-100 is particularly beneficial to first-year students as it supports their successful transition to college life at Valpo.
Course Topics Include:
- Effective Learning Strategies
- Establishing Good Study Habits
- Academic Resilience & Grit
- Self-Efficacy & Self-Regulation
- Test Preparation (Study Plans)
- Test-Taking Techniques
- Time Management
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Goal Setting & Motivation
- Support Systems
- Reading Strategies
- Note-Taking Skills
- Connecting to campus academic support resources
General Course Information:
- GS-100 is a 1-credit course that meets for two 50-minute class sessions each week.
- Classes run for 7-week periods and meet for a total of 14 sessions.
- Class size is small, which allows for group discussion and peer interaction in a collaborative learning environment.