Fall 2021 Schedule of GS-100 Classes
GS-100-A MON/WED 3:00 – 3:50 p.m.
GS-100-B & F TUE/THUR 10:20 – 11:10 a.m.
GS-100-C & G TUE/THUR 11:55 – 12:45 p.m.
GS-100-D & H TUE/THUR 1:30 – 2:20 p.m.
GS-100-E & J TUE/THUR 3:05 – 3:55 p.m.
GS-100-I TUE/THUR 4:10 – 5:00 p.m.
Strategies for Academic Success (GS-100) is a 1-credit learning strategies and study skills course appropriate for Valpo students who want to enhance their academic achievement. Through focused discussion on course materials, peer interaction, skill development, self-assessment, visits to campus resources, and other activities, students will discover and integrate best practices for achieving their college goals. GS-100 is particularly beneficial to first-year students as it supports their successful transition to college life at Valpo.
Course Topics Include:
- Effective Learning Strategies
- Establishing Good Study Habits
- Academic Resilience & Grit
- Self-Efficacy & Self-Regulation
- Test Preparation (Study Plans)
- Test-Taking Techniques
- Time Management
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Goal Setting & Motivation
- Support Systems
- Reading Strategies
- Note-Taking Skills
- Connecting to campus academic support resources
General Course Information:
- GS-100 is a 1-credit course that meets for two 50-minute class sessions each week.
- Classes run over a shortened 13-week period and meet for a total of 25 sessions.
- Students are required to complete three hours outside of class to conduct campus resource visits.
- Class size is small, which allows for group discussion and peer interaction in a collaborative learning environment.
- Required Textbook: Student Success in College: Doing what works (3rd Ed.) by C. Harrington.