Whether you are completing work at a two-year school, wish to move into a program that your current college doesn’t offer, or just want a better fit, you’ve come to the right place.
Join a Community
Valparaiso University offers an inclusive community environment where, as one of more than 300 transfer students each year, you’ll feel right at home.
You will appreciate our small class sizes and faculty mentoring, which emphasize personal attention for every student.
Our graduates stand out among their peers, whether looking for a job or applying to graduate school, making a Valpo education a valuable investment.
Your Admission Counselor
Valpo will be represented at the following campus visits and fairs this Spring:
2/22 – Ivy Tech, 11am-2pm – Valparaiso, IN
2/26 – Porter Hospital BSN Completion, 11am-1pm – Valparaiso, IN
2/26 – Ivy Tech, 9am-11am – Valparaiso, IN
2/27 – College of DuPage, 10am – 2pm – Glen Ellyn, IL
2/27 – Porter Hospital BSN Completion, 11am-1pm – Valparaiso, IN
2/28 – Porter Hospital BSN Completion, 11am-1pm – Valparaiso, IN
3/1 – Porter Hospital BSN Completion, 11am-1pm – Valparaiso, IN
3/2 – Porter Hospital BSN Completion, 11am-1pm – Valparaiso, IN
3/6 – Ivy Tech, 11am-2pm – Valparaiso, IN
3/7 – Prairie State College Transfer Fair, 10am-2pm – Chicago Heights, IL
3/7 – Southwestern Michigan Community College, 10am-2pm – Dowagiac, MI
3/10 – Harper College Engineering Event, 7am-2pm – Palatine, IL
3/12 – College of Lake County, 10am-2pm – Grayslake, IL
3/14 – Wilbur Wright Transfer Fair, 10am-2pm – Chicago, IL
3/14 – Ivy Tech, 9am-11am – Valparaiso, IN
3/19 – Ivy Tech, 1pm-4pm – Valparaiso, IN
3/29 – Ivy Tech Valparaiso Transfer Fair, 11am-2pm – Valparaiso, IN
4/5 – Ivy Tech, 9am-11am – Valparaiso, IN
4/9 – Ivy Tech, 11am-2pm – Valparaiso, IN
4/12 – College of Lake County, 10am-2pm – Grayslake, IL
4/17 – Ivy Tech, 1pm-4pm – Valparaiso, IN
4/25 – Ivy Tech, 11am-2pm – Valparaiso, IN
5/3 – Ivy Tech, 1pm-4pm – Valparaiso, IN
Transfer students are eligible for scholarships based on previous college work. Scholarship amounts vary depending on the cumulative grade point average at the previous institution(s) and range from $17,000-$24,000.
Phi Theta Kappa members are also eligible for a scholarship of $3,000 in addition to the transfer scholarship.
Students with a previous bachelor’s degree may be eligible for a $17,000 scholarship (available fall and spring semesters only).
Transfer students also may be eligible for the Alumni Heritage Award and Martin Luther Award. See the following links for more information:
Notification and Renewal
You will be notified of any awards by the Admission office with your offer of acceptance.
Renewal of scholarships in subsequent years depends on maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Criteria for Transfer Credit
Transfer credit is awarded on a course-by-course basis:
- Most university, college, or community college courses that are equivalent to corresponding Valpo courses are applied toward the general education requirement or as an elective credit.
- Courses in a student’s major may fulfill major requirements upon approval of the appropriate college dean or department chair.
- If transferring from a quarter system, three quarter hours usually equal two semester hours of credit. Courses comparable to those offered at Valparaiso University will be accepted for transfer with minimum grades of C-minus. Grades are not transferable; only credits transfer.
- Credits earned more than 15 years ago are accepted toward graduation requirements on a provisional basis; students must then complete 30 semester hours at Valpo with a minimum 2.0 grade-point average or better.
Maximum number of advanced standing credits that can transfer:
College of Arts and Sciences: 94 credits
College of Business: 94 credits
College of Engineering: 100 credits
College of Nursing: 94 credits
Transfer Equivalency Database
You may be able to look up transfer equivalencies for your previous course work. Our goal is to list all possible transfer credits from other higher education institutions and the database is being updated daily.
- Link to the Transfer Equivalency database »
- Click on “Transfer Equivalencies” (Look for the blue link beneath the “Registration Info for Admits” heading.)
- Click on “Submit.”
- Choose the state or country of the college you are currently attending or have attended in the past.
- Choose the college or university you are currently attending or have attended in the past.
- Choose the subject area you are looking for, or “ALL SUBJECTS.”
On the left side, you will see the course as it is titled at your current institution. The left is the name of the Valpo course that it is equal to or it is listed as UND, which means it is undistributed credit and your advisor will decide how to place that course in your degree audit.
If you don’t see your courses or college listed, don’t worry – it may still be eligible for transfer credit. This is a database in progress and we are still working on uploading all transfer equivalencies.
Ready to Apply?
"Valpo has given me the resources & experience to go above and beyond the requirements needed to succeed out in the field. I have gained so much insight into who I am today and how I can contribute within the community in the future, thanks to Valpo."Kayla Guyberson '19, College of Arts and Sciences, Psychology