With flu season well underway and the spread of the coronavirus in the news, we would like to share a few reminders and tips for staying healthy.
The Indiana State Department of Health recommends following a few simple steps to reduce the risk of spreading viral infections:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid close contact with others
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces
Local and state officials are monitoring a possible case of 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Porter County, Indiana. We will continue to monitor news from county and state officials, and if there are any updates we will share that information with you as it becomes available.
Valparaiso University places the safety and well-being of all members of its community first. If you believe you may be ill, please contact your health care provider. In addition, free flu shots are available for students at the Student Health Center and for faculty and staff at the OurHealth clinic.