A. Gilbert Cook, Ph.D.
A. Gilbert Cook
Senior Research Professor
Center for the Sciences 203
Post-Doc – Cornell University
Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry – University of Illinois-Urbana (1959)
B.S. – Wheaton College (1955)
Physical and synthetic organic chemistry, especially enamines, amines, and organophosphorus compounds.
- Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis, Edited by Leo A. Paquette, John Wiley, New York, 1994. Contributed three articles on enamines.
- Enamines: Synthesis, Structure, and Reactions, Edited by A. Gilbert Cook, Marcel Dekker, New York. 1st Edition, 1969. 2nd Edition, 1988. Also contributed one chapter in the first edition. Wrote or updated seven of the nine chapters in the second edition. This book is one of three authoritative sources on enamine chemistry.
- A. G. Cook; S. L. Folk, Letters in Organic Chemistry, 2008, 5, 269. “Isomer Distribution of Succinylcyclohexenyl, Acetylcyclohexenyl and Acetylcyclopentenyl Enamines.”
- A. G. Cook; P. M. Feltman, J. Chem. Ed., 2007, 84, 1827. “Determination of Solvent Effects on Keto-Enol Equilibria of 1,3-Dicarbonyl Compounds using NMR.”
- A. G. Cook, J. Chem. Ed., 2007, 84, 1477. “A Knoevenagel Initiated Annulation Reaction Using Room Temperature or Microwave Conditions.”
- A. G. Cook, C. C. Schering, P. A. Campbell, and S. S. Hayes. “Pyrolysis of Perhydro[1,2-c]oxazines: a Green Method of Synthesizing 2,3-Dehydropiperidine Enamines.” Tetrahedron Letters, 2005, 46, 5451.
- A. G. Cook, K. A. Switek, K. A. Cutler, and A. M. Witt. “Synthesis and Isomerization of 3-Pyrroline Enamines.”Letters in Organic Chemistry, 2004, 1, 1.
- A. G. Cook and J. L. Waddle. “Reaction of N-acetylimidazole with Enamines.” Tetrahedron Letters, 2003, 44, 6923.
- A. G. Cook, A. B. Voges, and A. E. Kammrath. “Aminal-catalyzed Isomerization of and Addition to Dimethyl Maleate.” Tetrahedron Letters, 2001, 42, 7349.
- A. G. Cook and P. Kreeger. “Reaction of Morpholine with t-Butyl Acetoacetate,” Journal of Chemical Education,2000, 77, 90.
- S. C. Engerer and A. G. Cook. “The Blue Bottle Reaction as a General Chemistry Experiment on Reaction Mechanisms,” Journal of Chemical Education 1999, 76(1 l), 1519-1520
- A. G. Cook, L. Wesner and S. Folk. “Relative Basicities of Some Endo and Exo Norbomylamines,” Journal of Organic Chemistry 1997, 62, 7205-7209
- A. G. Cook, M. Absi and V. Bowden. “Basicity of Some Mono- and Bicyclic Enamines and Tricyclenamines,”Journal of Organic Chemistry 1995, 60, 3169-3171
- A. G. Cook, R. M. Tolliver1 and J. E. Williams2. “The Blue Bottle Experiment Revisited: How Blue? How Sweet?,”Journal of Chemical Education 1994, 71, 160.
1PRISMS Program participant from Roosevelt High School, Gary, IN.
2PRISMS Program participant from West Side High School, Gary, IN.
- A. G. Cook. “A Quantitative Organic Analysis Using Carbon Magnetic Resonance: A Study in Enamine Isomer Distribution and Relative Stabilities,” Journal of Chemical Education 1993, 70, 865.
- J. A. Schlueter and A. G. Cook. “Studies on the Extent of Electron Delocalization in (-Nitro Enamines from Dipole Moment Measurements,” Journal of Organic Chemistry 1989, 54, 2255.
- American Chemical Society, The Chemical Society – London
- Indiana Academy of Science
- Phi Lambda Upsilon (chemistry honors society)
- Pi Mu Epsilon (mathematics honors society)
- Sigma Xi (research honors society)
- Inclusion in Volumes 23 (2006) through 26 (2009) of Marquis Who’s Who in the World
- Valparaiso University Pre-medical Arts Fellow – 1996-2004
- Inclusion in all volumes of Marquis Who’s Who in America from Vol. 40 (1978-1979) through Vol. 54 (2000)
- Valparaiso University Alumni Association Distinguished Teaching Award – 1993
- Wrote the Summer Workshop portion of the PSME Lilly $1.075M Grant, 1996, which introduces modern chemistry equipment (such as IR and GC/MS) and experiments into Northwest Indiana high schools and middle schools.
- GTE Grants for PRISMS Program (with Dean Gilbertson) – 1990 & 1993
- National Science Foundation ILI Grant – 1991
- Robert Clark, Ph.D.
- A. Gilbert Cook, Ph.D.
- Christina M. Davis, Ph.D.
- Thomas E. Goyne, Ph.D.
- Jennifer Holt, Ph.D.
- Norm Hudson, Ph.D., MPA
- Christopher R. Iceman, Ph.D.
- Kevin L. Jantzi, Ph.D.
- Katie Leach, Ph.D.
- Julie Peller, Ph.D.
- Jeffrey Pruet, Ph.D.
- Laura Rowe, Ph.D.
- Jonathan K. Schoer, Ph.D.
- Paul F. Smith, Ph.D.