As you chart your course for personal and professional fulfillment, we invite you to consider Valparaiso University’s major in Chinese and Japanese studies (CJS) to give you a competitive advantage in today’s global market. With Chinese and Japanese studies as a primary or secondary major, you’ll also have the opportunity to apply for a renewable scholarship — the Chinese and Japanese Studies Scholarship — offered to incoming freshmen and transfer students. The scholarship carries a maximum amount of $4,000 per year and can be awarded in addition to other scholarships, grants, and loans. Download the Application
A leader in East Asian studies among schools of its size, Valpo is known for preparing highly knowledgeable and creative graduates with a deep understanding of an interconnected and complex world. Located southeast of Chicago, Valpo promotes cultural exchange and a comprehensive educational experience for students around the world and study opportunities that span the globe.
Students majoring in Chinese and Japanese studies will enjoy an array of learning opportunities on and off campus that include three years of Japanese and four years of Chinese; a rich list of topic classes on East Asia; Study Abroad centers in both China and Japan; a summer program in China that offers internship opportunities; active student clubs; cultural festivals such as the annual Spring Japanese Dinner, Chinese Moon Festival, and New Year Celebration; and much more.
Any Valpo-bound freshman or transfer student may apply for the Chinese and Japanese Studies Scholarship. To receive the scholarship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Apply to Valpo and be admitted.
- Select Chinese and Japanese studies as a primary or secondary major. In order to renew the scholarship, the recipient must continue to major in CJS throughout her or his study at Valpo.
- Submit a FAFSA.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in Chinese and Japanese studies by submitting the scholarship application including a Letter or Recommendation by January 19, 2019.
Requirements for Chinese and Japanese studies major:
- Declare a primary or secondary major in Chinese and Japanese Studies
- Primary major: a minimum of 46 credits, which include at least two years of language classes and other required East Asian related courses in various disciplines.
- Secondary majors: a minimum of 33 credits, which include at least two years of language classes and other required East Asian related courses in various disciplines.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75 at Valpo and a minimum GPA of 3.25 in the Chinese and Japanese Studies
For complete information about the 2019-2020 scholarships and downloadable forms, please click here.
For more information regarding the scholarship and/or the Chinese and Japanese studies program at Valpo, please contact:
Dr. Zhimin Lin
Department of Political Science
College of Arts and Sciences Building 334
1400 Chapel Drive
Valparaiso, IN 46383