The College of Arts and Sciences doesn’t just help its graduates get jobs; it helps them identify, enter, and excel at satisfying careers.
Valpo’s Career Center offers a full complement of resources and services as well as a calendar chock-full of events. Read More »
Professional Skills Courses
These credit-bearing courses build skills that give students a competitive advantage in the job market and the workplace.
The Pre-Medical Arts Program prepares students for professional training in the health professions.Read More »
The Pre-Law program helps students prepare for training and careers in law.Read More »
Building on Strong Foundations
The overwhelming majority of employers (93 percent) believe a college graduate’s ability to think critically, communicate clearly, and solve complex problems is more important than her or his undergraduate major. These skills are precisely what the College of Arts and Sciences curriculum develops. These traditional liberal-arts strengths and a hands-on approach to learning help explain why the College’s graduate placement rate has been above 90 percent for 21 consecutive years.
Education in the College of Arts and Sciences goes beyond preparing students for an entry-level job.
- Academic experimentation helps students understand what fields best suit their interests
- Problem-solving skills translate to lifelong career advancement
- A large, worldwide network of enthusiastic alumni can help students find ways into almost any field
Faculty members who know their students on a personal level give them invaluable advantages in career preparation:
- They help students select courses and internships that move them toward their career goals
- They write effective, personal letters of recommendation to employers as well as graduate and professional programs
“Speed networking” events are among the many occasions at which Valpo’s Career Center hosts representatives of hundreds of employers each year.
Focus on Professional Skills
In addition to the traditional liberal-arts advantages, Valparaiso University provides superb resources to support students in the practical aspects of career development and finding employment.
Professional-skills courses offered by the College of Arts and Sciences address topics like interpersonal relations and leadership development as well as nitty-gritty details such as rėsumė writing, cover letters, interview skills, and networking.
At Valpo’s Career Center, professional counselors offer a full complement of services and resources. The Career Center hosts representatives of hundreds of employers each year at recruiting and networking events. Facilities and services include the following:
- A career resource library
- Extensive job and internship databases
- Individual counseling and job-search support
- Résumé and cover-letter critiques
- Career-specific panel discussions
- Mock interviews
- Career Fairs
- On-campus job interviews
- Networking events