Director, Virtual Learning Center
Professor Kost joined the CONHP faculty in 2015 and is the Director of the Virtual Learning Center. Her clinical expertise is in the area of critical care, working as a critical care staff nurse and critical care clinical nurse specialist (CNS). She taught clinical in the critical care area. Her area of expertise in teaching is in the area of Clinical Simulation.
Professor Kost has been in academia for nearly twenty-five (25) years. She previously taught at Valparaiso University in the College of Nursing from 1990-2000, and from 2000 – 2010 taught in the School of Nursing at Indiana University on the IUPUI campus.
In 2007, Professor Kost received the Indy Star: Nurse Educator of the Year Award. Her present teaching interests are in the area of simulation. She directed the opening of a simulation center at the south campus of Community Health Network Hospitals in Indianapolis. She has developed interdisciplinary simulations that led to chest pain national certification and a pending Trauma Level III certification.
Professor Kost’s scholarly interests include preparation of faculty for teaching clinical. She has co-authored the chapter “Teaching in the Clinical Setting” in editions II, III, IV of Teaching in Nursing, and co-authored the chapter “Teaching-Learning in the Psychomotor Domain“ in Building a Science of Nursing Education Foundation for Evidence-Based Teaching-Learning. She co-designed a web course in collaboration with the National League for Nursing and Indiana University: “Clinical Faculty: A New Practice Role”.
- MSN – University of Pennsylvania 1982
- BSN – University of Indianapolis 1978
- American Heart Association, Basic Life Support & Instructor
- American Heart Association, Advanced Cardiac Life Support & Instructor – through 2017
- Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) – 2007-2013
Areas of Specialization
- Critical Care
- Teaching in Nursing
- National League for Nursing
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing – Zeta Epsilon Chapter
- International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL)