The value of a Valpo degree is evidenced by the lives of Valpo alumni.
The communication department keeps in touch with alumni from many generations. The most recent survey of alumni indicates that, in the first five years after graduation:
- 23% work in communications at for-profit companies
- 21% work at public relations firms
- 20% work in journalism, television, or radio
- 12% have pursued or are pursuing graduate degrees
- 8% work at nonprofits
- 19% are in other positions, including teaching, law, and international relations
With a strong foundation in the liberal arts and a wealth of hands-on experience, Valpo graduates bring communication excellence to institutions from Indiana to Australia. Notable alumni include:
- Dan Ablan ‘89, President, AGA Digital Studios, Chicago, Ill.
- N. Cornell Boggs, III ‘82, Law ‘85, Americas Regional Counsel, Intel, San Francisco, Calif.
- Lisa Key ‘94, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Ill.
- Chrystina Head ‘01, Anchor, WTTI Fox, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Rebecca Toczek ‘95, Murphy/Knott PR Agency, Sydney, Australia
- Kendra Baker ’05, St. Louis Art Museum, St. Louis, Mo.
- Audra Jacobs ’01, Bader Rutter Associates, Brookfield, Ill.
- Holly Messick ’99, American Heart Association, Chicago, Ill.
- Britt Nelson ’05, Promega Corporation, Madison, Wis.
- Joy Bowker ’06, Bridgestone Firestone, Bloomingdale, Ill.
- Chris Hadley ’06, The Hunt Corporation, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Laura Medina ’06, Yahoo Sports, Chicago, Ill.
- David Volz ’88, Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- Cliston Brown ’94, Vice President for Communications & Government Relations, Surplus Line Association of California, San Franciso, Calif.
- Larry Mowry ’00, Meteorologist, WKMG, Orlando, Fla.
- Patrick Fazio ’00 Lead Anchor, NBC Chicago, IL
- Ginger Zee ’02 Good Morning America Chief Broadcast Meteorologist, New York
A communication education at Valpo also prepares students for graduate education. Alumni pursue fields including public relations, law, and international relations.
Students can also continue their education through Valpo’s graduate degree programs in sports media and digital media. Learn more »