- Application for Admission
Young Scholars Academy for Talented High School Students Program
We welcome your application for admission to the Young Scholars Academy for Talented High School Students Program of Valparaiso University. The High School Gifted & Talented Program admits students that demonstrate the ability and motivation to succeed in an academically challenging environment.
You may mail any required materials to:
Office of Continuing Education
Kretzmann Hall 116
1700 Chapel Drive
Valparaiso, IN 46383-6493 USA
You may contact us via:
Telephone: (219) 464-5313
Toll Free: (800) 821-7685
Fax: (219) 464-5381
The Division of Continuing Education
The Division of Continuing Education offers the opportunity for an integrated academic experience for gifted and talented high school sophomores, juniors and seniors in the areas of mathematics, science/technology and the Arts. The Gifted and Talented (GT) High School Program is administered through the Division of Continuing Education and is designed to serve the educational needs of gifted youth in Northwest Indiana.
High School students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply. These include persons who:
- Have at least sophmore standing at their high school;
- Have completed the equivalent of an honors course in the GT area of study (science, math, English, music) with a A;
- Successfully complete a short entrance requirement, such as an audition, a set of problems, a piece of creative writing, etc.
For applicants interested in earning college credit through a VU gifted and talented academic course, the following must be completed:
- Complete and sign the application
- Provide Counselor and/or Endorsement Form;
- Provide PSAT, ACT, or SAT scores (see Application and Counselor Endorsement Form);
- Have your high school send a copy of your transcript;
- Submit a 1-page essay stating why you wish to participate in the program;
- Pass any screening or entry test, such as auditions, creative writing samples, solving math problems, etc.;
- $30 non-refundable application fee, payable to Valparaiso University;
- Interview with VU Academic Department advisor or chair.