This event is an opportunity for high school senior students who are interested in pursuing the teaching profession as a career. Sponsored by the Professional Educators Partnership (PEP); Mathematics and Science Education Enrollment Development (MSEED); and Kappa Delta Pi, education honor society at Valparaiso University. Discover the Art of Teaching provides an opportunity to explore a teacher’s career path with current education students and faculty.
The mission of the education department at Valparaiso University is to recruit, prepare, and support young people in our profession who will become part of the next generation of high-quality and inspirational teachers. The event will be held at Valparaiso University on Friday, November 3, 2017.
Registration is now closed.
What to Expect on November 3, 2017:
8:30- 9:00 a.m. Check-In & Continental Breakfast, Community Room (1st Floor, Christopher Center)
9:00-10:40 a.m. Morning Program
- VU faculty will provide a motivational talk and discuss exciting opportunities for future teacher leaders
- Learn student teaching highlights and first year experiences
- Learn about campus life from Valpo education students, College 101
- Experience campus via a 50-minute student-led tour
Lunch and Campus Tours
- 11:00 – 11:50 Lunch with Valpo Students in the Hearth (1st Floor, Harre Union)
- 11:50 – 12:40 Campus Tours – Pick-up from Hearth Union (1st Floor, Harre Union)
- 11:00 – 11:50: Campus Tours – Pick-up Community Room (1st Floor Christopher Center)
- 11:50 – 12:40 Lunch with Valpo Students in the Hearth (1st Floor, Harre Union)
12:45-1:05 p.m. Afternoon Program, Ballroom (2nd Floor, Harre Union)
- Learn about the college application process from VU Admissions staff
- Learn about Kappa Delta Pi, the education honor society
- Wrap up the day with closing remarks
- Complete evaluation forms to help us plan for next year
- Talk one-on-one with Admissions staff
What should you wear?
Attire for the day is business casual or spirit wear (apparel with your school logo). Participants will do a lot of walking during the campus tour so please wear comfortable shoes and layered clothing. Bring an umbrella if rain is predicted.
What are we eating for lunch?
- Each participant will receive a $9 lunch card for the VU cafeteria. Bring additional funds if you have a hearty appetite.
- Enjoy lunch with current education students and faculty
What if you can no longer attend?
We understand things come up so if you cannot attend, please cancel your reservation as soon as possible by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the address for the Christopher Center where the event will begin?
The address is Christopher Center, 1410 Chapel Drive, Valparaiso, IN 46383. The Community Room is located on the north side, first floor of the building.
Where should I park my vehicle?
Buses – New! Park in Lot 37 (not 14 & 15)
Other vehicles – Park in Lots 14, 15 or 20