Assistant Professor of Education (School Psychology)
Clinical Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship, Mississippi State University, 2017
Doctoral Internship, Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District, 2016
Ph.D., Educational Psychology, Ball State University, 2016
M.A., Educational Psychology, Ball State University, 2012
B.G.S w/ Honors, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Indiana University South Bend, 2010
- Drapeau, C. W. (In Press). Establishing a research agenda for child and adolescent safety planning. Children’s Health Care. doi:10.1080/02739615.2019.1630281
- Drapeau, C. W., Lockman, J., Moore, M., & Cerel, J. (2019). Predicting posttraumatic growth among adults bereaved by suicide. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 40, 196-202. doi:10.1027/0227-5910/a000556
- Drapeau, C. W., Nadorff, M. R., McCall, V., Titus, C., Barclay, N., & Payne, A. (2019). Screening for suicide risk in adult sleep patients. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 46, 17-26. doi:10.1016/j.smrv.2019.03.009
- Speed, K., Drapeau, C. W., & Nadorff, M. R. (2018). Differentiating single and multiple suicide attempters: What nightmares can tell us that other predictors cannot. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 14, 829-834. doi:10.5664/jcsm.7116
- Drapeau, C. W., & Nadorff, M. R. (2017). Suicidality in sleep disorders: Prevalence, impact and management strategies. Nature and Science of Sleep, 9, 213-226 doi:10.2147/NSS.S125597
Representative Conference Presentations
- McCall, W. V., Drapeau, C. W., Rumble, M., & Krystal, A. (2019). Sleep disorders as a risk factor for suicide and the impact of treating insomnia in suicidal patients. Symposium to be presented at World Sleep 2019, Vancouver, Canada.
- Drapeau, C. W. (2018). Awakening to an incongruent literature: Sleep disorders, suicide risk, and future research opportunities. Invited plenary presentation given at the Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine annual conference, Advanced topics in behavioral sleep medicine, Baltimore, MD.
- Drapeau, C. W., & Underwood, M. (2018). Developing competence in suicide postvention: Creating school-community connections. Mini-skills session presented at the National Association of School Psychologists 2018 Annual Convention, Chicago, IL.
- Drapeau, C. W., Muehlenkamp, J. J., Quinn-Lee, L., Underwood, M., Cross, W., Quinnett, P., & Gutierrez, P. M. (2017). Innovating gatekeeper trainings: Incorporating peer educators, postvention and cultural competencies, active learning strategies, and novel evaluative methods. Symposium presented at the 50th Annual Conference of the American Association of Suicidology, Phoenix, AZ.
- Nadorff, M. R., Drapeau, C. W., Winer, E. S., & Kilgore, J. K. (2017). Nightmares and insomnia symptoms prospectively predict the development of suicidal ideation. Poster presented at SLEEP 2017: The 31st annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, Boston, MA.
Interests include suicide, suicide bereavement, gatekeeper training and school-based interventions, and behavioral sleep medicine.
Current Grant Funding
2019 – 2021 Military Suicide Research Consortium Grant
Funding Agency: Military Suicide Research Consortium (Department of Defense)
Grant title: Personal and Professional Exposure to Suicide in Military Populations
Total Costs: $1,116,749
Role: Co-Investigator (Julie Cerel, PI)
2018 – 2021 Garrett Lee Smith Campus Suicide Prevention Grant
Funding Agency: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Grant title: The One-of-Us Initiative at Valparaiso University (ONUS VU): Preventing Risk by Collectively Promoting Life
Total Costs: $265,290
Role: Primary Investigator
Courses Currently Taught
- Crisis Assessment and Intervention
- Human Development: Biological & Learned Bases of Behavior
- Professional Issues, Ethics, and Law (School Psychology)
- Research in Education
- Research Methods in Counseling
- Social and Cultural Basis of Behavior
- Socialization & Development of Life Skills
- Statistical Interpretation for School Program Evaluation