Assistant Professor of Education (School Psychology)
Clinical Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship, Mississippi State University, 2017
Doctoral Internship, Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District, 2016
Ph.D., Educational Psychology, Ball State University, 2016
M.A., Educational Psychology, Ball State University, 2012
B.G.S w/ Honors, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Indiana University South Bend, 2010
- Drapeau, C. W., Lockman, J., Moore, M., & Cerel, J. (2018). Predicting posttraumatic growth among adults bereaved by suicide. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention. doi:10.1027/0227-5910/a000556
- Speed, K., Drapeau, C. W., & Nadorff, M. R. (2018). Differentiating single and multiple suicide attempters: What nightmares can tell us that other predictors cannot. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 14, 829-834. doi:10.5664/jcsm.7116
- Drapeau, C. W., & Nadorff, M. R. (2017). Suicidality in sleep disorders: Prevalence, impact and management strategies. Nature and Science of Sleep, 9, 213-226 doi:10.2147/NSS.S125597
- Drapeau, C. W., Cerel, J., & Moore, M. (2016). How personality, coping styles, and perceived closeness influence help-seeking attitudes in suicide-bereaved adults. Death Studies, 40, 165-171. doi:10.1080/07481187.2015.1107660
- Winer, E. S., Drapeau, C. W., Veilleux, J., & Nadorff, M. R. (2016). Anhedonia, suicidal ideation, and suicide attempts in a large student sample. Archives of Suicide Research, 20, 265-272. doi:10.1080/13811118.2015.1025119
Representative Conference Presentations
- Drapeau, C. W. (2018). Awakening to an incongruent literature: Sleep disorders, suicide risk, and future research opportunities. Invited plenary presentation given at the Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine annual conference, Advanced topics in behavioral sleep medicine, Baltimore, MD.
- Drapeau, C. W., & Underwood, M. (2018). Developing competence in suicide postvention: Creating school-community connections. Mini-skills session presented at the National Association of School Psychologists 2018 Annual Convention, Chicago, IL.
- Oliver, B., & Drapeau, C. W. (2018). Suicide prevention & response: A comprehensive resource guide for Indiana schools. Invited keynote presentation given at the 4th annual Indiana Suicide Prevention Conference, Fort Wayne, IN.
- Drapeau, C. W., Muehlenkamp, J. J., Quinn-Lee, L., Underwood, M., Cross, W., Quinnett, P., & Gutierrez, P. M. (2017). Innovating gatekeeper trainings: Incorporating peer educators, postvention and cultural competencies, active learning strategies, and novel evaluative methods. Symposium presented at the 50th Annual Conference of the American Association of Suicidology, Phoenix, AZ.
- Nadorff, M. R., Drapeau, C. W., Winer, E. S., & Kilgore, J. K. (2017). Nightmares and insomnia symptoms prospectively predict the development of suicidal ideation. Poster presented at SLEEP 2017: The 31st annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, Boston, MA.
Interests include suicide, suicide bereavement, gatekeeper training and school-based interventions, and behavioral sleep medicine.
Click here to learn about the BattleAdversity lab at Valparaiso University.
Clinical and Teaching Interests
Interests include assessment, behavioral sleep medicine, biological psychology (teaching), parent management training, and suicide risk assessment.
Current Grant Funding
2019 – 2021 Military Suicide Research Consortium Grant
Funding Agency: Military Suicide Research Consortium
Grant title: Personal and Professional Exposure to Suicide in Military Populations
Total Costs: $1,116,749
Role: Co-Investigator (Julie Cerel, PI)
2018 – 2021 Garrett Lee Smith Campus Suicide Prevention Grant
Funding Agency: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Grant title: The One-of-Us Initiative at Valparaiso University (ONUS VU): Preventing Risk by Collectively Promoting Life
Total Costs: $265,290
Role: Primary Investigator