The Valparaiso University English department offers a variety of courses for both English majors and other students. These courses help students to use the English language maturely and sensitively and to develop their capacities to enjoy and understand writing, language, and imaginative literature.
- Major and minor in English literature
- Major and minor in creative writing
- Major and minor in Public and Professional Writing
- Minor in teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL)
- Master of arts in English Studies and Communication
- Master of arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Courses that fulfill requirements for the master of arts in liberal studies degree
In addition to preparing students for graduate work or for teaching, the study of English provides an excellent qualification for numerous careers and professions.
Smaller class sizes allow students to cultivate a close relationship with professors and to sharpen their analytical and expressive skills through writing and discussion.