Valparaiso University offers a 15-credit graduate TESOL certificate.
- Students in Valpo graduate programs with a language or international focus, such as English Studies and Communication or International Commerce and Policy, Chinese Studies, or the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies.
- Non-degree students in the Graduate School, including international students and members of the Northwest Indiana community.
- Graduate students preparing for “gap year” programs such as Fulbright or Peace Corps.
- The certificate expands career possibilities for those who anticipate teaching the English language to adults in the U.S. or internationally.
- Students gain practical experience through a hands-on teaching practicum. The vibrant international Valparaiso University community offers many opportunities to interact with speakers of other languages.
- Up to nine credits for the certificate can overlap with selected degree programs. (See the graduate catalog for details.) Thus, a 36-credit program with nine TESOL certificate credits counting as electives toward the M.A. program yields an M.A. plus the certificate in 42 credits.
- The credits are stackable toward the full MA in TESOL.
- Students may take classes as full-time or part-time students. Courses are available in the evenings and during the summer.
- Students currently or previously enrolled in a graduate degree program at Valparaiso University need only submit the application for the TESOL certificate, updated transcripts, and evidence of prior experience learning a foreign language.
- All others must, in addition to the above, meet standard admission requirements of the Graduate School.
The above information comes from the 2016-17 graduate catalog, below, p. 99. Students typically follow the catalog for the year in which they matriculate.