Valparaiso University offers a 15-credit graduate TESOL certificate.
- Students in Valpo graduate programs with a language or international focus, such as English Studies and Communication or International Commerce and Policy, Chinese Studies, or the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies.
- Non-degree students in the Graduate School, including international students and members of the Northwest Indiana community.
- Graduate students preparing for “gap year” programs such as Fulbright or Peace Corps.
- The certificate expands career possibilities for those who anticipate teaching the English language to adults in the U.S. or internationally.
- Students gain practical experience through a hands-on teaching practicum. The vibrant international Valparaiso University community offers many opportunities to interact with speakers of other languages.
- Up to nine credits for the certificate can overlap with selected degree programs. (See the graduate catalog for details.) Thus, a 36-credit program with nine TESOL certificate credits counting as electives toward the M.A. program yields an M.A. plus the certificate in 42 credits.
- The credits are stackable toward the full MA in TESOL.
- Students may take classes as full-time or part-time students. Courses are available in the evenings and during the summer.
- Students currently or previously enrolled in a graduate degree program at Valparaiso University need only submit the application for the TESOL certificate, updated transcripts, and evidence of prior experience learning a foreign language.
- All others must, in addition to the above, meet standard admission requirements of the Graduate School.
Please see the graduate school admission site, below, for application materials.
The above information comes from the 2016-17 graduate catalog, below, p. 99. Students typically follow the catalog for the year in which they matriculate.