The renovation of Hilltop Gymnasium and dedication of the Dale F. Kempf Court was celebrated on September 28, 2018, during Homecoming Weekend. The gym was opened in 1939, expanded in 1962 to include more seating, and renovated again in 2005.
Hilltop Gym now includes air conditioning, new lighting, and a permanent wall between the gym and the softball hitting area, as well as treatments to the windows on the south side of the facility. A nutrition center will be added to the area for the use of all Valpo student-athletes, and it will also feature graphics high- lighting the building’s history and tradition. The gym now serves as a modern practice and playing space for Valpo Athletics and the College of Engineering’s Robot- ic Football program.
Kempf Court at Hilltop Gym was possible thanks to the generosity of the late Dale F. Kempf ’62, with additional support from Joe ’75 and Jeanne Gillen and Dick ’59 and Carol Kraai ’60 Schroer.