Geology will be no longer be offered as a major starting with the 2017 catalog.
Completion of the degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences with a major in geology through the VIGGA program leads to a bachelor of science.
With additional geoscience credits totaling at least 40, but no more than 48 hours, this degree can serve as a standalone major with no second major or minor. Students who opt for this science major may also choose one of the following:
- A disciplinary science minor or second major (qualifying disciplines include astronomy, biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, mathematics, psychology, and physics. Note that students opting for a science minor or second major to complete this B.S. degree must select a program from outside the geography and meteorology department);
- A second major in a non-science discipline;
- The 32-credit complementary major in environmental science;
- A minor in fundamentals of business, business administration, applied statistics, engineering, or geographic information systems
The Indiana University Northwest Department of Geosciences “offers the learning experience through the traditional lecture series, laboratories, seminars, independent research in the field, laboratory and library study, and through field trips to local sites and to geologically intriguing areas of North America. Each course for majors contains a field trip, and the department conducts a regional field trip to a National Park in the U.S. after the spring semester every other year.”
B.S. students in geology at Valpo must complete the general-education requirements for the bachelor of science in the College of Arts and Sciences. This University-wide core strengthens communication and critical thinking skills while introducing students to global cultures and traditions.
Association students at Valparaiso University are expected to complete satisfactorily the following curriculum from course offerings at Valparaiso University and Association offerings at Indiana University Northwest in order to complete the major in geology. Degrees are awarded by the home institution.
- MET 103 Introduction to Meteorology (Valpo) 4 Cr.
- GEO 104 Introduction to Geomorphology (Valpo) 4 Cr.
- GEOL-G 209 History of the Earth (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 221 Introductory Mineralogy (IUN) 4 Cr.
- GEOL-G 222 Introduction to Petrology (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 323 Structural Geology (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 334 Principles of Sedimentology and Stratigraphy (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 406 Introduction to Geochemistry (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 420 Regional Geology Field Trip (IUN) 1-3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 435 Glacial and Quaternary Geology (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 490 Undergraduate Seminar (IUN) 1-2 Cr.
Additional Indiana University Northwest course offerings open to Valparaiso University students majoring in geology are GEOL-G 410 and GEOL-G 413. See the IUN Geosciences Geology Classes website or bulletin for course descriptions.