Geology is no longer offered as a major as of the 2017 catalog.
Completion of the degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences with a major in geology through the VIGGA program lead to a bachelor of science.
With additional geoscience credits totaling at least 40, but no more than 48 hours, this degree served as a standalone major with no second major or minor. Students who opted for this science major were also able choose one of the following:
- A disciplinary science minor or second major (qualifying disciplines include astronomy, biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, mathematics, psychology, and physics. Note that students opting for a science minor or second major to complete this B.S. degree must select a program from outside the geography and meteorology department);
- A second major in a non-science discipline;
- The 32-credit complementary major in environmental science;
- A minor in fundamentals of business, business administration, applied statistics, engineering, or geographic information systems
B.S. students in geology at Valpo completed the general-education requirements for the bachelor of science in the College of Arts and Sciences. This University-wide core strengthens communication and critical thinking skills while introducing students to global cultures and traditions.
Association students at Valparaiso University were expected to complete satisfactorily the following curriculum from course offerings at Valparaiso University and Association offerings at Indiana University Northwest in order to complete the major in geology. Degrees were awarded by the home institution.
- MET 103 Introduction to Meteorology (Valpo) 4 Cr.
- GEO 104 Introduction to Geomorphology (Valpo) 4 Cr.
- GEOL-G 209 History of the Earth (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 221 Introductory Mineralogy (IUN) 4 Cr.
- GEOL-G 222 Introduction to Petrology (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 323 Structural Geology (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 334 Principles of Sedimentology and Stratigraphy (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 406 Introduction to Geochemistry (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 420 Regional Geology Field Trip (IUN) 1-3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 435 Glacial and Quaternary Geology (IUN) 3 Cr.
- GEOL-G 490 Undergraduate Seminar (IUN) 1-2 Cr.
Additional Indiana University Northwest course offerings open to Valparaiso University students majoring in geology were GEOL-G 410 and GEOL-G 413 or other appropriate courses. See the IUN Geosciences Geology Classes website or bulletin for course descriptions.