- Application for Admission
Master of Arts in Chinese Studies
We welcome your application for admission to the Graduate School of Valparaiso University. The mission of the Graduate School is to serve the advanced learning, professional development, and personal enrichment needs of individuals regionally and nationally. The Graduate School admits students that demonstrate the ability and motivation to succeed in an academically challenging environment.
This form is meant to be completed ONLINE ONLY. If you would like a hard copy, please choose the Requesting Information link and one will be sent to you.
You may mail any required materials to:
Office of the Graduate School
Kretzmann Hall 114
1700 Chapel Drive
Valparaiso, IN 46383-6493 USA
You may contact us via:
Telephone: (219) 464-5313
Toll Free: (800) 821-7685
Fax: (219) 464-5381
Please us the Tab key to move through the application to enter data
In order for your application to be considered for admission, all required information must be received by the Graduate Office including:
- Certified transcripts of a bachelor's degree
- Two letters of recommendation
- A reflective essay (unless you completed it on the online application)
- Application Fee: $30 for US Citizens
The Master of Arts in Chinese Studies (MACS) program offers several types of financial assistance in
addition to federal loans for qualified applicants:
- MACS Scholarships: Scholarships of up to $5,000/year are offered each year. This scholarship assumes student will work 4-6 hours per week as an assistant for a professor on campus.
- Office manager: Two positions available through the Chinese and Japanese Studies Program. Office managers are paid based on hourly wages. The normal word load is about 20 hours per week.
- On-campus employment: Students may work in an on-campus job up to 29 hours per week. Contact the Office of Financial Aid at 219-464-5015 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information about available on-campus employment.
- Graduate School positions: The Graduate School hires Academic and Research Assistants as well as Graduate Interns – contact the Graduate School at email@example.com for more information.
Tuition and Fees for the 2012-2013 Academic Year:
Graduate Tuition: $560 per credit hour
Parking: $105 per year (for both fall & spring semesters)
General Fees for all Students: $146 per semester
Application Fee to MACS program: $30.00
Application Fee to JD/MACS program: $20.00
To be eligible for the awards listed above, you will need to:
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for some of the financial aid such as the MACS/Starr scholarship, and
- Be formally enrolled at least half time in the MACS program.
- Submit an essay (no longer than 200 words) describing your qualifications and need, as well as how this scholarship would assist you in completing the degree.