The forms on this page are for students admitted to and enrolled in the Valparaiso University Graduate School. If you are unsure of which form to use, please contact the Assistant Director of Academic Services, Jessica Segally, at Jessica.Segally@valpo.edu or 219.464.5313. The Graduate School forms are organized into the following categories:
- Forms & petitions for academic changes
- Independent coursework forms
- Master’s Thesis coursework forms
- Internship forms (non-licensure students)
- Graduation & degree completion forms
eForms will be routed automatically through an electronic approval queue to the necessary instructors, advisor, program director, and dean. You will receive regular updates via email with your eForm’s progress. Pdf forms must be signed, including the necessary approval signatures, and returned to the Graduate School office in Kretzmann Hall or via email to Jessica.Segally@valpo.edu.
Academic Procedure Forms & Petitions
- Petition to Transfer Credit (eForm)
- Petition for Course Substitution (eForm)
- Petition for Course Overload (eForm)
- Petition to Add a Course After the Deadline (eForm)
- Petition to Withdraw from a Course After the Deadline (eForm)
- Petition to Attend Another Institution (eForm)
- Petition to Extend a Degree Program (.pdf)
- Early Entry Bridge Program Worksheet (eForm)
- Request for Leave of Absence
- Petition to Appeal Financial Charges (.pdf)
- Petition for Readmission (eForm)
- Registration Form (eForm)
- Late Registration Form
Leaving the University
Students who will be leaving the University should complete the Change of University Academic Status request through their DataVU student account. Log into DataVU, select Change of University Academic Status, and follow the prompts to complete the request.
- Non-returning students should select “in the next term” for their withdrawal date.
- Immediate formal withdrawal students should select “immediately, in the current term” for their withdrawal date. Prior to completing an immediate withdrawal request, students should also refer to the Student Accounts tuition refund schedule for applicable information.
Independent Academic Coursework Forms
- Independent Academic Coursework Form (eForm) – students pursuing an Independent Study, Integrative Project, or Research Project should use this form to request approval of their independent academic work to investigate a special topic through readings, research and write on a focused topic, or research for or write a thesis under faculty supervision.
- PSY 700 Integrative Project (.pdf) – CMHC students completing their Integrative Project.
- Observation or Practicum (.pdf) – observation or practicum experience including exposure to and guidance within practical or work settings related to the student’s field of study. Typically used in MALS, ESC or TESOL programs.
Thesis Coursework Forms
- Master’s Thesis Manual – students planning to pursue a Master’s Thesis and faculty who will be overseeing a student thesis or sitting on a thesis committee should review this Manual for guidelines and thesis requirements.
- Pre-Thesis Academic Work Proposal Form (eForm) – students pursuing an Independent Study, Research Project, or Master’s Thesis Proposal in preparation for their Master’s Thesis should use this form to request approval of their independent academic work to investigate a special topic through readings, research and write on a focused topic, or research for or write a thesis under faculty supervision.
- Master’s Thesis Proposal & Application (eForm) – students pursuing their Master’s Thesis should use this form to request approval of their thesis coursework.
- Sample Title Page – students may use this sample document to format their Thesis Title Page.
- Thesis Approval Form – the Thesis Approval Form will be completed and signed after a student has successfully defended and edited their final thesis.
- Author’s Release Form – this form must be completed prior to submission of your thesis to ValpoScholar.
Students required or choosing to complete an internship must complete the Internship Form and attach the required documentation in order to request approval of their internship from the Dean of the Graduate School and proceed with registration. Please note that the review of these forms may take up to three weeks due to the placement agreement contract. Students are encouraged to submit their internship forms well before the start of the new semester.
The Internship Form is required for students in non-licensure programs, which include: Analytics & Modeling, Arts & Entertainment Administration, Chinese Studies, Cyber Security, Digital Media, English Studies & Communication, Health Administration, Humane Education, Information Technology, International Commerce & Policy, International Economics & Finance, Licensed Clinical Addictions Counseling, MALS (all concentrations), Ministry Administration, Sports Administration, Sports Media, and TESOL.
- Internship Form (eForm) – requires upload of offer letter, job description, learning goals, Transportation Agreement (off campus sites only) and Placement Agreement (off campus sites only).
- Transportation Agreement – required of students completing their internship off campus (not working for any department or office of Valparaiso University). This should be downloaded and signed by the student, and attached when you complete the Internship eForm.
- Placement Agreement – required of students completing their internship off campus (not working for any department or office of Valparaiso University). This should be downloaded, completed and signed by your internship, then attached when you complete the Internship eForm.
The following evaluation forms are required by the Graduate School during students’ internships.
- Midterm Internship Supervisor Evaluation
- Final Internship Supervisor Evaluation
- Final Student Internship Evaluation
The following are suggested for use by departments for student internships, but individual program requirements may vary. Students should consult their advisor and program director for specific requirements.
Graduation & Degree Completion Forms
- Application for Graduation – the Application for Graduation is completed through your DataVU student account. Once you have completed the Application for Graduation, you will receive a confirmation email and you will be included in the mailing lists to receive information about Grad Finale and Commencement. Please log in to complete the Application for Graduation by the following deadlines:
- November 1 for May graduates
- February 1 for August graduates
- September 1 for December graduates
- Petition for Early Graduation Participation (.pdf)