October 16, 2018
Nobody likes to change their password. We get it. (Believe it or not, we don’t either!) Changing passwords frequently has traditionally been regarded as one of the best ways to keep your account safe, as well as all the data behind your login.
But guess what? Recent studies show that this traditional approach isn’t necessarily the most secure way. So… Information Technology has an exciting announcement! Want to know what it is? Watch this short video (under three minutes) to find out!
Want to know some other ways to keep your account safe and better secure University data? We’ve got another video for that! If you prefer a list, here are some easy steps you can take to #LockDownURLogin (https://www.lockdownyourlogin.org).
- Don’t write it down! (That sticky note under your keyboard is the first place someone would look.)
- Turn on multi-factor authentication: https://www.turnon2fa.com
- Don’t save your password in your browser! (It’s easily hacked.)
- Use a passphrase: https://xkcd.com/936/
- Use a password manager app like 1Password https://1password.com or LastPass https://www.lastpass.com.
As the lines between work, school, and home become increasingly blurred, it’s more important than ever to be sure that smart cybersecurity habits carry over between the two. It’s everyone’s job to help ensure online safety on campus!
All month long, we’ll be sharing helpful information, tips, and resources. Partner with us in making the internet a safer place for everyone! Here are a few easy ways to be involved.
- Get a free sticker from the Help Desk to show your support.
- Join the #CyberAware conversation on social media.
- NEW! Instagram.com/itatvalpo
- Request a cyber security workshop customized for your department or organization. Submit an ITicket via the Help Desk to get started.