Dr. Brooke Starkoff
Assistant Professor, Kinesiology
Office: ASB 320
Phone: (219) 464-5280
Dr. Brooke Starkoff joined the Kinesiology faculty at Valparaiso University in 2018. In early 2013, she completed her Ph.D. in Kinesiology at The Ohio State University, with a research focus on the influence of high intensity interval exercise on endothelial function and inflammation in adolescents with obesity.
Prior to her experience at OSU, Dr. Starkoff worked as an exercise physiologist in a pediatric weight management program in Cleveland, Ohio. There, she was able to run children and adolescents through fitness assessments and create and teach methods for implementing regular physical activity. Currently, Dr. Starkoff teaches courses on Kinesiology, Exercise Science, and Motor Learning. She is interested in continuing her research with obesity and examining the effects of physical activity, sedentary behavior, and nutrition on arterial stiffness and endothelial function in children.
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University
- MS, Cleveland State University
- BA, The College of Wooster
Area(s) of Specialization
- Childhood obesity
- Arterial stiffness
- Sedentary behavior
- Starkoff, B.E., Lenz, E., Lieberman, L. J., Foley, J., Too, D. (2017). Physical Activity Habits of Individuals with Visual Impairments. British Journal of Visual Impairment, 35(2), 130-142.
- Starkoff, B.E., Lenz, E., Lieberman, L. J., Foley, J. (2016). Sedentary Behavior in Adults with Visual Impairments. Disability and Health Journal, 9(4), 609-615.
- Colgan, J. C., Bopp, M. J., Starkoff, B.E., Lieberman, L. J. (2016). Fitness Wearables and Youth with Visual Impairments: Implications for Practice and Application. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness (online). 110(5), 335.
- Lenz, E., Starkoff, B. E., Foley, J., Lieberman, L. J. (2015). Television time and the relationship to obesity in adults with visual impairments. Journal of Blindness Innovation and Research, 5(2).
- Starkoff, B. E., Lenz, E. (2015). Break It Up: Improving Health by Breaking Up Continuous Bouts of Sedentary Behavior. ACSM Health & Fitness Journal, 19(2), 14-19.
- Starkoff, B. E., Eneli, I. U., Bonny, A. E., Hoffman, R. P., & Devor, S. T. (2015). Endothelin-1 and exercise intensity in sedentary adolescents with obesity. International Journal of Kinesiology and Sports Science, 3(1), 1-8.
- Starkoff, B. E., Eneli, I. U., Bonny, A. E., Hoffman, R. P., & Devor, S. T. (2014). Estimated Aerobic Capacity Changes in Adolescents with Obesity Following High Intensity Interval Exercise. International Journal of Kinesiology and Sports Science, 2(3), 1-8.
- Starkoff, B. E., Petosa, R. L., Balk, E. K., Eneli, I. U., Bonny, A. E., Hoffman, R. P., & Devor, S. T. (2014). Sedentary and Physical Activity Habits of Obese Adolescents. American Journal of Health Education, 45(6), 335-341.