GS-180 / GS-106 “English Conversation Partners” pairs native speakers of English with international students for one-on-one weekly conversation.
The English Conversation Partners course will not be offered in Fall 2020. If you are interested in taking the course in a future semester, please contact the LRC to learn when it might be offered again.
For US students who:
- Enjoy learning about other cultures and languages
- Are interested in sharing your own cultural perspective with students from other countries
- Want to get to know more international students on campus
For international students who:
- Want to practice English conversation skills
- Are interested in sharing your home culture with US students
- Want to get to know more US students on campus
The course has three main goals:
- non-native speakers of English will practice conversation skills outside the classroom;
- US native speakers will engage in service and reflect upon the act of service through their role as conversation partner;
- all participants will cultivate intercultural connections.
All students will develop a deeper understanding of their partner’s home culture, country and language as well as gain a new perspective on their own culture, country and language.
If you have questions about the course, contact the instructor.
If you don’t wish to participate in the formal, for-credit program but are still interested in finding a conversation partner, visit the private conversation exchange page.