Law school, like the practice of law, is often demanding and stressful. Law students and lawyers alike experience high stress levels, which may result in depression, alcohol, or drug problems. A new “work-in-progress,” the Wellness Initiative will help Valpo Law students combat the strain of law school in healthy, productive ways.
Wellness is a dynamic process of becoming aware of and making conscious choices toward a more balanced and healthy lifestyle. It includes learning new coping and communication skills that address both the positive and negative aspects of human existence. The concept of wellness includes seven dimensions, which we will endeavor to address.
- Social wellness: Creating and maintaining healthy relationships.
- Physical wellness: Having a flexible, aerobically-fit body.
- Emotional wellness: Creating and maintaining a positive realistic self concept and enthusiasm about life.
- Career wellness: Making choices that are meaningful and contribute to your personal growth as well as work.
- Intellectual wellness: Using your mind to create a greater understanding of yourself and the universe.
- Environmental wellness: Making choices to create sustainable human and ecological communities, improving qualities in air, water, land and space.
- Spiritual wellness: The process of “experiencing life” while seeking meaning and purpose in human existence. Spirituality allows one to have consistency between values and behaviors.
© University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point School of Health Promotion and Human Development
Created by R.A. Abbott, Ph.D. and J. Jones Ph.D. for increasing awareness and use as an educational tool.
- VU Health Center – general info, forms, etc.
- VU Health Center on Facebook – most up-to-date discussion.
- Intramural Sports
- Law Student Organizations
- VU Fitness Center
- Campus Ministries
Community resources … get out of the library once in a while and see what the community has to offer.
- City of Valparaiso
- Valpo Chamber of Commerce
- Valparaiso parks
- Taltree Arboretum and Gardens
- Indiana Dunes State Park
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
- East Wind Acupuncture 219.395.9928
Out of Town
Need to get out of town for a bit?
- Harre Union Ride Board
- ChicaGoDash Commute to Chicago
- CoachUSA Airport shuttle
- South Shore Line Commute to Chicago or South Bend
Other Interesting Bits
- The Contemplative Lawyer Stephanie West Allen’s blog on mindfulness and the law
- Thriving in Law School The organizing questions of this blog are: (1) Are law students and lawyers thriving on a personal and professional level, and (2) if not, why not, and what can be done about?
- The National Association of Law Students with Disabilities
- JustBalance: A Canadian support site aimed at promoting the well-being of law students
- “Getting Healthy, Staying Healthy,” by David Jaffe
- The Mindful Lawyer
Please note that the listing of these resources is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an endorsement from Valparaiso University or the Valparaiso University Law School.