Incoming Students

How to apply — incoming students

  1. Complete the application for admission—This application is used to award our merit-based scholarships; you will be notified if you received one at the time of admission.
  2. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) -To be eligible for federal, state, or institutional gift aid, you MUST file the FAFSA. A PIN to electronically sign is required for the online application; you can request a PIN at Valparaiso University’s federal school code is: 001842.
  3. Verification Process —After Valparaiso University has received your FAFSA information, we may be required to ask for additional documentation, such as federal tax returns, W-2’s, and a verification worksheet. If you have been selected, please return the requested documentation to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible so your award can be completed. Lateness in sending the requested material may put a  hold on your financial aid eligibility. Only those selected and contacted by the Financial Aid Office need to send in the above material.
  4. Sign the Master Promissory Note —Students receiving a Federal Direct or Federal Perkins Loan for the first time must sign a Master Promissory Note. This note details your wish to accept the loan and that you understand your obligation to pay it back when you graduate or drop below half-time status.
    • Federal Direct Loan promissory notes can be signed electronically any time. Click here to begin.
    • Federal Perkins Loan promissory notes can be signed electronically at after you receive an e-mail that the promissory note is ready to be signed.
  5. Complete Entrance Counseling —The government requires first-time borrowers of the Federal Direct Loans to complete entrance counseling to ensure you understand the conditions of your loan before you accept the funds. It is a one time only 15-20 minute online tutorial.
  6. Apply for Alternative Loans, such as the GradPlus Loan, or sign up for a Payment Plan —If after you receive your financial aid letter and you still have costs not covered by your current aid, you may apply for an alternative student loan to cover the rest of your balance (this includes the Federal GradPlus loan or you may set up a payment plan). Information about alternative loans, the PLUS loan, and payment plans will be sent with the award letter.