2020 Welcome Week Information
From: VP Julie DeGraw
To: New Students and Family Members
Posted: May 21, 2020 at 5:30 p.m.
Dear New Student and Family Members,
We are so excited that you will be joining us at Valpo this fall! My name is Julie DeGraw and I am honored to be serving as YOUR Vice President for Student Affairs. The student affairs team is here to ensure your holistic development, learning and growth beyond the classroom and to encourage you to strive toward your fullest potential within an inclusive and supportive community.
The purpose of this email is to provide dates regarding the start to your time at Valpo in August, given the new compressed academic calendar.
Important dates for you to be aware of for starting the fall 2020 semester are listed below:
Tuesday, August 11: Last FOCUS Orientation Session
This session is for those who are not able to attend FOCUS in July.
Wednesday, August 12: New Residential Student Move-In Day and Start of Welcome Week Activities for All New Students
In order to ensure physical distancing during move-in, those of you living on campus will be assigned a specific time to move in on this day. Residential Life will send appointment times to your Valpo email in late-July. The Welcome Week schedule is available here.
Thursday – Sunday, August 13–16: Welcome Week activities continue
Monday August 17: Classes begin
Please be assured that we are busy preparing for your arrival and will have many safety precautions in place. We will need your help to create a safe and welcoming environment for yourself and others. More information will be coming to you soon with the specifics of these community commitments.
The next step for you, as a new student, is to attend a FOCUS orientation session. Those signed up should now know your July session date. If you do not know your date, you can view it by logging into your admission portal. If you have not signed up for a FOCUS session, please do so as soon as possible at valpo.edu/focus.
Please let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to meeting you all.
Julie DeGraw, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
- Campus Messages
- Returning to Campus Guidelines
- Spring Semester Pre-Arrival COVID Testing Reminder
- COVID-19 Testing Required for Students
- The Final Weeks of the Semester
- COVID-19 Updates
- Staying on Course
- Updates to COVID-19 Testing Recommendations
- COVID-19 Community Concern Reporting Form
- Flu Vaccination Required for Valparaiso University Students
- Flu Vaccination Required for Valparaiso University Employees
- Campus COVID-19 Reporting
- COVID-19 Behavior Expectations
- Active Positive COVID-19 Cases on the Valparaiso University Campus
- Important COVID-19 Information
- Clarification on Quarantines
- Thermometers Available
- #CampusClear Self-Screening App
- Fall 2020 Classroom Practices
- Athletics – Safe Return to Campus
- Safely Reopening Guidelines for Faculty
- Returning to Campus
- Return to Campus Guidelines
- Recommendations for a Safe Return to Campus
- Staying Healthy in Times of Uncertainty and Injustice
- Fall 2020 Important Dates
- 2020 Welcome Week Information
- Fall 2020 Academic Calendar
- Continuing Remote Work
- A Safe Return to Campus This Fall