Beginning Phased Relaxation of COVID-19 Restrictions
From: Incident Command Team
To: Students, Faculty, and Staff
Posted: March 22, 2021 at 2:13 p.m.
Thank you for your adherence to our University COVID-19 health and safety guidelines. With everyone’s ongoing dedication, Valparaiso University will slowly begin introducing in-person events and gatherings, using a conditional and phased approach. The following changes are approved and will be implemented over the next two weeks.
Beginning today, indoor gatherings of 15 and outdoor gatherings of 30 will be permitted as long as everyone continues to wear face coverings and practice physical distancing.
Founders and other dining facilities will have a 4-person maximum at a table in all dining areas.
Home athletics events will open to players’ families, with four family members allotted per Valpo student-athlete. Visiting teams will be permitted 30 guests for volleyball matches and 126 guests for football games.
The University Fitness Center will open at 50% capacity. No more than 50 total people, including Fitness Center staff, will be permitted inside at one time.
The Harre Union games room, the Rack, will open for billiards and ping pong. No more than two people can be at each table at a time, with up to four games at one time. Including staff, 10 people at maximum are allowed in the games room.
Beginning Saturday, March 27, so long as positive cases remain low and everyone continues to follow guidelines, indoor gatherings of 25 and outdoor gatherings of 50 will be permitted with all continuing to wear face coverings and practice physical distancing.
At this time, Recreational Sports may begin offering pickleball, sand volleyball, and wiffleball. A singles pickleball league with a maximum of two people per court will be supervised by one or two staff members while multiple courts are in use. Sand volleyball matches and tournaments can begin within gathering restrictions in place at that time. Four to five student staff will be present to supervise tournaments. Outdoor wiffleball matches will take place at the old hospital lot. Approximately five staff members will be present for six-on-six games once a week.
These adjustments are subject to change depending on the results of ongoing surveillance testing and the success of these new restrictions. We will continue monitoring campus and local COVID-19 rates, and we will communicate any updates as necessary.
Thank you for your ongoing help and everything you do to uphold health and safety for our Valpo community.
- Campus Messages
- Updated COVID-19 Protocols
- Lifting Mask Mandate
- Mask Mandate Update – Students
- Mask Mandate Update – Faculty/Staff
- Register Now for Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Clinic on May 7
- COVID-19 Vaccination Required for Valparaiso University Students
- COVID-19 Vaccination Required for Valparaiso University Employees
- Campus Event Group Size Update
- On-Campus Vaccinations Available April 21, 24
- COVID-19 Vaccination Information and Feedback Request
- Beginning Phased Relaxation of COVID-19 Restrictions
- Return to In-Person Instruction
- COVID-19 Campus Update - 3/11/21
- Faculty & Staff COVID-19 Screening
- COVID-19 Campus Update - 3/8/21
- COVID-19 Campus Update - 3/1/21
- COVID-19 Response Updates
- COVID-19 Surveillance Testing
- COVID-19 Protocol Reminders
- Returning to Campus Guidelines
- Spring Semester Pre-Arrival COVID Testing Reminder
- COVID-19 Testing Required for Students