COVID-19 Campus Update
From: President Padilla
To: Students, Faculty, and Staff
Posted: March 1, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff:
The health and safety of the Valparaiso University campus and community is our highest priority, and we continue to monitor updates regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. We have recently seen a troubling rise in the number of on-campus positive cases. We therefore must take the following steps in order to try to stop the spread of COVID cases and keep our campus safe. These steps will take effect immediately and are effective through March 14, 2021 (please refer to valpo.edu/looking-forward for updates and the number of cases on campus).
All classes will be delivered remotely. Residence halls and dining facilities will remain open during this period of remote learning.
Laboratory sections for classes will not meet. Students may utilize lab spaces on campus as needed for classwork. Please connect with your professor regarding use of lab space during remote learning. Clinicals for students in the College of Nursing and Health Professions will meet at clinical sites as scheduled.
All events will be moved online, including student-led tours through the Office of Admission. Chapel services will be available online. All in-person Recreational Sports activities are canceled, and student recreational center will be closed.
No group or organization meetings with more than 2-4 people can be conducted in person. Likewise, meetings in the Christopher Center are limited to individual studying or groups of no more than two people.
The remote work policy for faculty and staff will remain the same. Please contact your supervisor for specific questions.
Continue to follow recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for face coverings including updated guidance to improve fit and use layers, physical distancing, washing your hands, and disinfecting surfaces.
If a student has tested positive through the University or outside testing, they are required to work with the University Student Health Center to quarantine. Faculty and staff should report positive tests to Human Resources.
The University will continue to conduct surveillance testing, perform contact tracing, monitor metrics on campus and in the community and work with local, state, and federal health agencies on future determinations and guidelines.
We appreciate the sacrifices everyone has made in order to stop the spread of COVID-19. This has been a long and arduous journey. But as this recent increase in cases demonstrates, we are not done with COVID and COVID is not done with us. We therefore must remain vigilant in protecting ourselves and our fellow students, faculty, and staff from this stubborn public health threat. This is what Valpo family members do for each other. Thank you for your continued cooperation.
José D. Padilla, J.D.
- Campus Messages
- Updated COVID-19 Protocols
- Lifting Mask Mandate
- Mask Mandate Update – Students
- Mask Mandate Update – Faculty/Staff
- Register Now for Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Clinic on May 7
- COVID-19 Vaccination Required for Valparaiso University Students
- COVID-19 Vaccination Required for Valparaiso University Employees
- Campus Event Group Size Update
- On-Campus Vaccinations Available April 21, 24
- COVID-19 Vaccination Information and Feedback Request
- Beginning Phased Relaxation of COVID-19 Restrictions
- Return to In-Person Instruction
- COVID-19 Campus Update - 3/11/21
- Faculty & Staff COVID-19 Screening
- COVID-19 Campus Update - 3/8/21
- COVID-19 Campus Update - 3/1/21
- COVID-19 Response Updates
- COVID-19 Surveillance Testing
- COVID-19 Protocol Reminders
- Returning to Campus Guidelines
- Spring Semester Pre-Arrival COVID Testing Reminder
- COVID-19 Testing Required for Students