From: Interim President-Elect Colette Irwin-Knott
To: Students, Faculty, and Staff
Posted: November 4, 2020 at 5:50 p.m.
In light of the continuing precipitous rise in positive COVID-19 cases in Porter County, Valparaiso University has made the following determinations to limit the spread of the virus on campus and in the community.
Commencement ceremonies will no longer be held in person in November. Instead, virtual ceremonies will be planned to honor all of Valpo’s 2020 graduates in December. Further details will be shared as those events are finalized, and we look forward to celebrating the accomplishments of these remarkable graduates.
All in-person athletic activities, including scheduled games, practices, and team meetings, have been suspended. The University will reevaluate the suspension on Nov. 6.
Final exams should proceed as planned. Faculty should consult with their respective deans if they wish to make changes.
We will continue to monitor metrics in the surrounding areas and how they affect our campus as 47% of students and nearly 100% of faculty and staff live off campus. There are 24 active cases on campus and 251 Valpo community members in isolation or quarantine at this time. Currently, 80% of the students in isolation or quarantine are off campus. In addition, seven staff members have tested positive and 10 have reported they are in quarantine.
While the current trend of positive cases has largely come from off campus, we need to remain steadfast in our commitment to following COVID-19 protocols on campus. Continue to wear your face coverings, wash your hands, and avoid large gatherings. Keep potential exposures limited by staying on campus instead of traveling home and don’t bring outside guests onto campus. If you are sick or are awaiting COVID-19 test results, stay home until you can visit a health care provider or receive your test results.
Our continued success for this semester and next is contingent on all of us. As we near the end of the semester, please remember the Valpo Vow and our mutual commitment to hold ourselves to a higher standard to keep Valpo’s campus safe and healthy.
- Campus Messages
- The Final Weeks of the Semester
- COVID-19 Updates
- Staying on Course
- Updates to COVID-19 Testing Recommendations
- COVID-19 Community Concern Reporting Form
- Flu Vaccination Required for Valparaiso University Students
- Flu Vaccination Required for Valparaiso University Employees
- Campus COVID-19 Reporting
- COVID-19 Behavior Expectations
- Active Positive COVID-19 Cases on the Valparaiso University Campus
- Important COVID-19 Information
- Clarification on Quarantines
- Thermometers Available
- #CampusClear Self-Screening App
- Fall 2020 Classroom Practices
- Athletics – Safe Return to Campus
- Safely Reopening Guidelines for Faculty
- Returning to Campus
- Return to Campus Guidelines
- Recommendations for a Safe Return to Campus
- Staying Healthy in Times of Uncertainty and Injustice
- Fall 2020 Important Dates
- 2020 Welcome Week Information
- Fall 2020 Academic Calendar
- Continuing Remote Work
- A Safe Return to Campus This Fall