The music department at Valparaiso University presents the fall 2018 performance schedule, which showcases the talents of students, faculty, and visiting performers.
- Donald Sinta Saxophone Quartet, Sept. 22 at 5 p.m., Duesenberg Recital Hall. The quartet was honored as the 2018 Gold Medal winners of the Fischoff Chamber Music Competition in the Senior Wind Division.
- Homecoming Concert, Sept. 29 at 4 p.m., Chapel of the Resurrection. The Chorale, Men’s Ensemble, and Women’s Choir will perform a choral concert.
- Gargoyle Brass with Organ, Oct. 6 at 7 p.m., Chapel of the Resurrection. The group was founded in 1992 by students and faculty at the University of Chicago. The Gargoyle Brass and Organ Ensemble will perform “Imaginary Landscapes” featuring music of Stravinsky, Holst, and others.
- Laudamus, the Choir of the St. Louis Seminary, Oct. 16 at 7:30 p.m., Chapel of the Resurrection. Conductor James Marriott will lead Laudamus, a choir comprised of seminarians preparing for full-time service in the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS).
- Family Weekend Concerts, Oct. 27, Chapel of the Resurrection. The Chamber Concert Band will perform at 4 p.m., and the Community/University Band and Luce Concert Band will perform at 7:30 p.m.
- Johan de Meij Premiere, Chamber Concert Band, Windiana Concert Band, Nov. 3 at 5 p.m., Chapel of the Resurrection. “Symphony No. 5: Return to Middle Earth” by Johan de Meij will see its premiere performance. In addition, “Symphony No. 1: The Lord of the Rings” by Johan de Meij will be performed for its 30th anniversary. This concert will showcase conductor Jeffrey Scott Doebler, guest conductor and composer Johan de Meij, soprano Maura Janton Cock, the Valparaiso University Chamber Concert Band, Windiana Concert Band, and a massed choir of nearly 200.
- War and the Human Heart, Nov. 11 at 5 p.m., Chapel of the Resurrection. This concert will feature the Valparaiso University Chorale as well as the Windiana Concert Band.
- Christmas Concert, Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m. and Dec. 1 at 5 p.m., Chapel of the Resurrection. Featuring the Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Concert Band, Chorale, Women’s Choir, and the Men’s Ensemble.
- Advent Christmas Vespers, Dec. 7 at 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m., Chapel of the Resurrection. An annual candlelit service featuring the Kantorei and handbell choirs of the Chapel.
Additional information, ticket prices, and a complete calendar of events is available on the music department’s website.