Oct. 20, 2021 – Valparaiso, Indiana – Valparaiso University will celebrate the inauguration of José D. Padilla, J.D., as its 19th president with a weeklong series of events from Oct. 24–31.
Padilla’s presidency officially began on March 1, 2021, as the culmination of a long and successful career in higher education. A dynamic thinker and natural leader, Padilla brings many skills, experiences and accomplishments in higher education that are ideally suited to the University’s needs today and in the future.
Inauguration week events include:
- Notable Alumni Lecture Series
- Lloyd G. McClendon ’81, ’05H, Sunday, Oct. 24, 7 p.m., Harre Union Brown and Gold Room. Lloyd McClendon started his career young, playing in the Little League World Series in 1971, where he rightfully earned his nickname, “Legendary Lloyd,” after hitting five home runs. He went on to play for Valpo during his collegiate years, where he received all-conference honors twice and is part of the 1998 Athletics Hall of Fame class. The former professional baseball player competed with the New York Mets, Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs, Pittsburgh Pirates and Cleveland Indians and remains active in the world of professional baseball. Lloyd is the former manager of the Seattle Mariners, previously managed the Pittsburgh Pirates, and served as hitting coach for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Detroit Tigers.
- Robert G. Bryant ’85, ’19H, Tuesday, Oct. 26, 7 p.m., Harre Union Ballroom C. Robert Bryant started his career at The Polymer Institute at the University of Akron in 1985 as a NASA graduate student research fellow. In 1990, he was hired by NASA Langley Research Center, and his research areas include aerospace composites, adhesives, polymer synthesis, smart materials and materials for space vehicles. Robert holds more than 40 U.S. and foreign patents; more than 25 licenses for several inventions; and has more than 100 technical publications. He is a recognized international expert on materials and Langley’s appointed subject matter expert for materials. His scientific discoveries have been applied to life-saving devices for the treatment of heart irregularities and he was inducted into the Space Technology Hall of Fame in 2016.
- The Honorable Rebecca R. Pallmeyer ’76, Wednesday, Oct. 27, 7 p.m., Harre Union Brown and Gold Room. From 1985 until 1991, Rebecca R. Pallmeyer was an administrative law judge with the Illinois Human Rights Commission, a quasi-judicial agency responsible for enforcement of the state’s anti-discrimination laws. She was appointed as a United States magistrate judge in 1991 and served as presiding magistrate judge from 1996–1998. In 1997, President Clinton nominated her for a seat in the U.S. District Court in Chicago, where she has served since October 1998. Rebecca served from 2013 to 2019 as a member of the Committee on Court Administration and Case Management, and in 2019 she became the first woman to hold the position of chief judge of the U.S. District Court for the northern district of Illinois.
- Campus Community Trunk or Treat, Thursday, Oct. 28, 5 p.m., Parking Lot 15 and the Harre Union West Lawn. Valpo’s Staff Employee Advocacy Council (SEAC) is sponsoring a trick-or-treating event for the entire Valpo-area community.
- “All Beacons Welcome” Kickoff Event, Friday, Oct. 29, 5 p.m., Harre Union. This event was organized in part by student organizations representing diverse backgrounds and members of Valpo’s staff and faculty. The event will begin with a parade starting from the east end of campus.
- Theatre Production: “Baby with the Bathwater,” Friday, Oct. 29, 8 p.m., and Sunday, Oct. 31, 2 p.m., Center for the Arts. A student production directed by R. Andrew White.
- Inauguration Ceremony, Saturday, Oct. 30, 2:30 p.m., Chapel of the Resurrection. Tickets are required and can be reserved at valpo.edu/inauguration.
- Men’s Basketball, Saturday, Oct. 30, 6 p.m., Athletics-Recreation Center. For their first home game, the Beacons will take on Ashland in exhibition play.
- Reformation Festival Service, Sunday, Oct. 31, 10 a.m. A service of thanksgiving to mark the 504th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation.
Visit valpo.edu/inauguration for additional information about José D. Padilla and inauguration events at Valparaiso University.