When new students complete their enrollment confirmation, they will note if they are residing on-campus or are exempt from the on-campus residency requirement. During the month of June, new students will complete an On-Campus Housing Application during their June FOCUS session. If a student is unable to attend a June FOCUS session, details on how to complete the On-Campus Housing Application will be emailed to them.

For continuing students, materials regarding the annual room selection process are available from the Office of Residential Life in late January, early February.

Every effort is made to honor the preferences marked on the On-Campus Housing Application. However, it is not possible to guarantee that each request will be met. The following procedures will be used.

  • Returning students (current residence hall students and students moving from off-campus) are given first preference to sign up for fall housing accommodations during a spring semester sign-up period.
  • New students (incoming freshmen, transfers, readmits, and those continuing students who failed to apply for a room during the special sign-up period) are assigned to the remaining spaces based on the date the completed Enrollment Agreement is received.
    • Date the completed Enrollment Agreement is received.
    • Roommate preference. (Requests must be mutual; roommate preference takes priority over building preference).
    • Hall and/or room preferences.

The three main halls that our first-year students reside in are Alumni, Lankenau and Brandt. Each hall has the same room layout, however, Brandt hall has movable furniture and carpet, while Alumni and Lankenau have built-in furniture.

Transfer students are placed with their class cohort. Upper-class students generally reside in Beacon Hall, Guild/Memorial Hall, and Wehrenberg Hall. There is limited availability in our apartment-style options. We try our best to place residents based on preference and hall availability.

Mutual requests for specific roommates are honored when possible. Otherwise, roommates are assigned using the information supplied on the On-Campus Housing Application.

Students can request specific individuals as their roommate. To select a roommate, students log into their Housing Self-Service (via DataVU), and click on “Roommates/Suitemates” under the “Room Selection” tab. Students can then type in a specific name or search for a roommate based on living preferences. Each request then must be accepted by the other person. First-year students can only select one roommate since all first-year spaces only hold two students.

PLEASE NOTE: First-year Living-Learning Community requests supersede all requests (building & roommate). If one roommate requests the specific Living-Learning Community and the other does not, then they will not be paired together. Both must request the same type of living environment.

Room assignments are made without regard to race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, or national or ethnic origin.

Notices of room assignments are mailed in mid-July for incoming students. Along with your assignment, you will receive the name, address, and home phone number of your roommate and information on check-in procedures.

Returning students will receive a confirmation of their room assignment in mid-June.

Room changes are allowed approximately two weeks after the start of each semester. To request a different room, students must complete a Room Change Request Form, available in Housing Self-Service.

Room Consolidation is a process that operates under the premise that residents paying for double occupancy are to reside in double accommodations. The process occurs in the first eight weeks of each semester (except for noncom change periods). The process provides residents in unpaid single rooms the option of (1) voluntarily accepting a roommate, (2) voluntarily moving to another double room accommodation, (3) being reassigned to a double occupancy configuration by Residential Life, or (4) signing for and accepting the additional cost of a single room, rather than consolidating. Freshman students are not permitted to have single rooms, so option 4 is not available to those students.

Those students who do not comply with the process, refuse to accept a roommate, or refuse to move according to the policy are subject to disciplinary action and/or fines.

A limited number of single rooms are available. Most singles are assigned to continuing residents through our room selection process. Demand usually exceeds supply. Indicating a preference for a single room on the Enrollment Agreement or Housing Agreement does not guarantee the request will be granted. Students who are granted a single room will be sent confirmation by Residential Life; all others will be assigned double rooms and placed on a single-room waiting list.

Freshman students are not permitted to have a single room. Space availability is one reason, but more importantly, we feel it is critical for new students to have roommates for support and assistance during the first-year experience. Studies have shown that students having a roommate develop better interpersonal/social and coping skills during their first year when compared to students without roommates. In addition, studies show that first-year students with roommates get better grades, are less likely to withdraw, and generally report to be more satisfied with the college experience.

If you have a Housing Special/Medical Accommodation or Access and Accommodations Resource Center Accommodation, contact our office as soon as possible for further instructions regarding your accommodation.

If you have been instructed to complete a new Special/Medical Accommodation Request form (required each year for most individuals), you can find the form HERE. This form can be faxed to our office by your medical professional. Our fax number is 219-464-5256.

As you know, the University has a six-semester residency requirement. Once a student has lived on campus for six-semesters or more,  they are considered eligible to be given an exemption from the University’s housing requirement. Certain off-campus academic programs (such as study abroad) would count toward this six-semester requirement.

Exceptions are:

  1. A student who has completed six (6) semesters of residency in campus housing.
    (*Note Students that started at Valparaiso University on or before the Fall 2014 term, senior status is determined by 88+credit hour policy. Students that started at Valparaiso University on or after Fall 2015 term, the six (6) semester policy will be applied).
  2. A student who lives exclusively in the permanent or primary residence of a parent or legal guardian within a “reasonable distance” limit of Valparaiso University. (*Note Students that started at Valparaiso University before the Fall 2018 term, that distance is 50 or fewer miles.  Students that started at Valparaiso University on or after the Fall 2018 term, that distance is 30 or fewer miles).
  3. A student who is or will be 22-years of age by September 1 of the applicable academic year.
  4. A student that is married.
  5. A student that is a parent of a minor child with whom they will live.
  6. A student that is a veteran of active duty with the United States Armed Forces.
  7. A student is an active member of a Valparaiso University fraternity and living in recognized Fraternity housing.
  8. Those having received an exemption through Residential Life.

For the fall semester, the residence halls open at 8 a.m. on the Saturday before classes start for all NEW Valparaiso University students. Upon arrival, you will need to check-in at your residence hall’s front desk. Returning Valpo students may check into their residence hall beginning at 3 p.m. Students may continue to check in until 10 p.m. If for any reason a student will be checking in later than the evening before the first day of classes, he/she should contact Residential Life to make arrangements for a late check-in.

Students arriving for the spring semester may move-in beginning at noon CDT on the Sunday before classes begin.

Vacation/break housing will be offered to international students and other residents who meet certain criteria. Break housing is provided in the Promenade Apartments, and Alumni Hall (subject to change). All other residences close for vacation periods and academic breaks. This includes Thanksgiving break, semester break, and the spring term recess. Students who anticipate a need for housing over break periods may wish to pursue an assignment in the aforementioned areas. Students must meet certain eligibility criteria in order to stay on campus over vacation periods and must apply for housing prior to each break.

The term of the Housing Agreement is a full academic year. Any student who wishes to leave the residence hall at any time during the academic year for reasons other than graduation, marriage, permanent military duty, student teaching, or complete withdrawal from the University must have approval from the Assistant Dean of students for Residential Life or his designee.