Rooms, hallways and public areas are equipped with smoke detectors. We do not allow candles or incense in the rooms and smoking is not allowed anywhere on the Valparaiso University campus.
- Residence halls are locked 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You must use your OneCard to enter the building.
- Guests, whether they are Valpo students or not, must be escorted by their hosts at all times within the residence halls. Guests and hosts are responsible for signing in and signing out with the residence hall main desk using the Guest Sign In Sheet when the desk is in operation.
- Students wishing to host an overnight guest of the same sex in their room may only do so with consent of their roommate(s) at least 24 hours in advance. All guests must be registered at the front desk of the residence hall using the Guest Sign-in Sheet. Students may host no more than one guest per bed in the applicable room. Guests are limited to no more than three consecutive nights in the residence hall. Guests are expected to abide by all regulations which apply to their hosts. Hosts must escort their guests at all times within the residence halls and are responsible for the actions of their guests within the residence halls and on campus. If a guest violates a university policy, it will be adjudicated in accordance with the appropriate judicial procedures. Since the host is responsible for their guest(s), the host may be held responsible for the actions of their guest(s).
- Our staff conducts several nightly duty rounds in each residence hall to monitor our facilities and maintain the standards of the community.
- We highly encourage students to lock their doors and to carry their keys with them whenever they leave their rooms. When rooms are left wide open or doors are left unlocked this creates an opportunity for crime.
If your family has personal property insurance at home, check to make sure that the policy covers your belongings while you are at school. If it does not, consider purchasing renter’s insurance. Valparaiso University is not responsible for the personal property of students.
If an answer you want is not found here, please submit your question via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.