Residential life banner image


Residential Life adheres to the Valparaiso University non-discrimination policy in all of its programs, practices, and policies. Room assignments and changes are made without regard to race, color, or national origin.

Students with medical conditions that require specific accommodations (air conditioning, private bath, etc.) need to have their medical provider complete a Special Housing Accommodations Supporting Information Form and provide it to the Office of Residential Life. The Office of Residential Life will provide the form to the Access and Accommodations Resource Center who will review the form and notify the Office of Residential Life of accommodations needed.

Current students will then meet with the Assistant Director of Residential Life to select a space on campus that meets their accommodation. Incoming students will be assigned a room that meets their approved accommodation.

The University will attempt to provide reasonable accommodations to all students. Students with conditions covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) must be registered with the Access and Accommodations Resource Center (AARC). Students with conditions not covered by ADA will be accommodated as space is available. Students requiring air conditioning and granted a special accommodation must choose from rooms where AC units are already present. The University will not install AC units where they do not already exist.

Students with documented medical conditions must participate in the room selection process, so please make sure you sign up through the room selection process.

Valparaiso University offers several gender inclusive housing options dependent upon the class standing of the student. These include:

  • Single or double rooms with private bathrooms
  • Suite-style housing options
  • Apartment options

Students interested in receiving additional information or exploring these housing options should contact Katie Bye, Director of Residential Life. 

When sufficient space makes it possible, the university may rent single rooms at an additional charge to upper-class students. Single rooms are awarded on a class standing, space available basis, using procedures established for room selection the previous spring semester. Once a student contracts for a single room, they are obligated to maintain the single for the remainder of the academic year. The student cannot change from “single” to “double” status, nor can they have another student move into their room unless that student does not already live in university residence halls.

Students who have not been granted a designated single room, but find themselves without a roommate during the first eight (8) weeks of the semester, will be subject to room consolidation. Students in these circumstances will be given three (3) options (provided no students have yet to be moved from temporary housing): 

  • Pay for a single room on a prorated basis for the remainder of the academic year (upper-class students only).
  • Have another student who is living alone move in with them.
  • Move into a room which is occupied by another student living alone having not paid for a single room.

When conflicts as to moving occur, the student with the least number of earned credits will be required to move.

Students who lose their roommates after the eighth (8) week of the semester will not be subject to consolidation. Students residing in three-and four-person rooms which are not filled to capacity will also be subject to consolidation. 

Students who deliberately attempt to remove a roommate in order to obtain a single may be required to move from the existing room into another double occupancy arrangement and may also be subject to disciplinary action. Students who fail to consolidate may be billed retroactively for a single room and/or may be subject to disciplinary action. 

The university reserves the right to make changes in the residency assignments, if necessary, for the most effective accommodation of the student body.

A request for a room change within a student’s current residence hall or to a different residence hall must be made on the appropriate Room Change Request form from the Office of Residential Life. Room Change Request forms must be approved by the RLC for both buildings involved in the move. Students who change rooms without proper authorization may be subject to disciplinary action and/or a monetary fine and may be required to move back to their original room assignment. No room changes are permitted during the first two (2) weeks of the semester.

The residence halls close at Noon on the day following the last day of classes or exams prior to each break period or at the end of the semester. Residence hall students are expected to vacate the building no later than 24 hours after their last final examination at the end of the fall and spring semesters and summer sessions unless an exception is made in advance by the RLC. Should a student withdraw from the university or be suspended or expelled, the student must vacate university residence halls no later than 24 hours from the suspension, expulsion, or withdrawal or immediately within the sole discretion of the vice president for student life. Students who do not vacate by established deadlines are subject to a monetary fine and/or reinforcement by law enforcement officers. 

Residence halls are closed during break periods according to the undergraduate calendar, except for those residence halls which remain open for international students, in-season student athletes, students involved in a credit-bearing internship or co-op program over break, student teachers, students from more than 500 miles, and other students approved by the Office of Residential Life. All students requesting break housing must apply at the Office of Residential Life prior to each break period. 

More information on break housing is available here.

Residence Hall addresses may be used for food delivery or map directions, although mail should not be directed to these addresses. All student mail and packages are delivered to the Student Mail Center located on the lower level of the Union. Each residential student has a mailbox located at the Harre Union that will remain with them as long as they are a residential student. There is no mail or package delivery in the residence halls. When ordering food, the delivery person is not allowed inside the building. The resident ordering the food must exit the building, collect their food delivery, and return inside.

  • Alumni Hall 1605 Campus Drive East
  • Beacon Hall 150 North Campus Drive
  • Brandt Hall 1710 Campus Drive East
  • Guild Hall 1210 Union Street
  • Kade/Duesenberg 822 Mound Street
  • Lankenau Hall 1515 Campus Drive East
  • Promenade East Apartments 55 University Park
  • Promenade West Apartments 60 University Park
  • Memorial Hall 1200 Union Street
  • Wehrenberg Hall 1810 Campus Drive East