Thank you for your interest in becoming a Sorority Housing Complex (SHC) Resident Assistant in the Office of Residential Life. Below you will find the timeline of events related to the application process and selection process.
Must be in and maintain good judicial, social, and academic standing with the University and their chapter. Applicants must have a full-time student enrollment status with a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA to apply and obtain no lower than a 2.5 semester GPA throughout employment. Applicants must have resided in a Residence Hall at least two full semesters prior to the start of employment. The Office of Residential Life has final approval of all Resident Assistants for Sorority Housing candidates. Applicants cannot serve as their Chapter President when they serve in the Resident Assistant Position.
Each sorority will have a minimum of three (3) members apply for their house’s Resident Assistant position. If a sorority member wishes to apply for a Resident Assistant position for their sorority community within the Sorority Housing Complex (SHC), they must commit to live in their sorority’s house (regardless of the outcome) and be on their sorority’s housing roster due Wednesday, February 20, 2019, at 5 pm. If a sorority does not have at least three applicants, they will be asked to submit additional applicants. If no applicants are qualified, then Residential Life will fill the position.
After a review of candidates applications and case study responses, applicants who we feel will be successful RA candidates will be offered the opportunity to interview with the SHC Residential Learning Coordinator (RLC) and the Assistant Director of Residential Life for Staffing and Programming. During this interview, candidates will be asked a variety of questions assessing their knowledge of the SHC Resident Assistant position and the skills and abilities each candidate possesses. Please be prepared to speak with a small group of current professional staff members during the interview.
If offered an interview you will be e-mailed and asked to come to the Office of Residential Life, Harre Suite 250, with your schedule to sign up for a 30-minute individual interview. The office is open Monday-Friday: 8am-5pm. Individual interviews will take place from Wednesday, February 20, 2019, to Friday, February 22, 2019, and will be 30 minutes long.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can you apply to both the SHC RA position and a traditional RA position?
- No, applicants must decide which position they would like to apply for. To be considered for the SHC RA position, you must be listed on the sorority house roster. If a member is on the sorority house roster, they are not eligible to apply for the regular RA position as this would pull them out of the house if hired.
- I want to apply for an RA position outside of the house. What do I do?
- Any sorority member who wishes to apply for a Resident Assistant position outside of the SHC should apply through the Non-SHC Resident Assistant Position Application and should not be listed on the Sorority Housing Roster turned into Residential Life.
- I applied for the non-sorority house position and didn’t receive it. Can I still live in the SHC?
- If the sorority member is not successful in obtaining a Resident Assistant position, and there is a vacancy within their sorority house (or the unaffiliated house) within the Sorority Housing Complex, they are eligible to move into the vacancy.
- If a sorority member is offered an alternate Resident Assistant position and they choose to accept the offer to be placed on the alternate list, they will NOT be eligible to live in their sorority house within the Sorority Housing Complex.
- If a sorority member is offered an alternate Resident Assistant position and they choose NOT to accept the offer to be placed on the alternate list, they will be eligible to live in their sorority house (or the unaffiliated house) within the Sorority Housing Complex (if there is a vacancy available).