Facilities Management provides services on a daily basis in the areas of maintenance, preventive maintenance, landscape maintenance, and building services.
Students are able to complete work requests via their Housing Self-Service. Requests will then be reviewed by the Residential Learning Coordinator (RLC) of the hall and submitted to Facilities Management.
Facilities Management, as is true with many campus departments, sets priorities based on a number of criteria; therefore, they are not always able to meet all of the requests made of their department. Please allow a minimum of 10 working days before checking on the status of a non-emergency request.
Emergency Work Requests
Examples of emergency situations are flooding, water leaks, severe plumbing issues, heating issues below 60 degrees during the heating season, air conditioning issues above 80 degrees during the cooling season, security issues, and power outages.
If a student is experiencing an emergency work order situation they should contact their Resident Assistant (RA) or Residential Learning Coordinator (RLC) who will contact Facilities Management.
- If you are not able to contact your RLC or RA between 8 am and 5 pm (Monday- Friday) you can contact the Office of Residential Life at 219.464.5413.
- If you are not able to contact your RLC or RA between 5 pm and 8 pm (Monday-Friday or on weekends) please call VUPD at 219.464.5430 who will contact emergency maintenance. Please note, RA staff are on call between 7 pm and 7 am in all halls seven days a week. A professional staff member is on call 24 hours a day seven days per week.
Writing a Good Work Order
Please include location, exact nature of problem or request (details, details, details). While this may sound simple, please see examples below of a good work order request and a bad work order request:
- Title- Drippy window in Alumni
- Location- Alumni Floor: 1 Room: 123
- Category- Facilities/Maintenance-Painting, broken hardware, windows, you will use this the most.
- Description-Please address the very drippy nature of the window in my room. When it rains, the right-hand window sill develops a small puddle which then runs down the wall to the floor. I have a wet window, and wet wall.
- My window is leaking in my room.
Completing a Work Order in Housing Self-Service
Students will log into their DataVU>Housing Self-Service. They will select RCR/Damages and then Maintenance Requests, they will then click on Add Work Order.
- Title- A brief description of what the issue is. Hall- Student will select their hall.
- Category- The student will select the category the work falls under.
- Custodial/Building Services- Cleaning.
- Facilities/Maintenance-Painting, broken hardware, windows, you will use this the most.
- Laundry- An issue with a washer or dryer.
- Locksmith-Keys, door locks, door hardware.
- Pest Control-Critters.
- Plumbing- Sinks, showers, and drain issues.
- Location-Student will select their hall.
- Room Number- Student will select their room number.
- Description- Detailed account of the issue.
The student will then need to click submit.