Bachelor of Social Work Degree

SOCW 151 Introduction to the Profession of Social Work 3 credits
SOCW 210 Social Welfare Policy: History and Programs 3 credits
SOCW 220 Human Behavior and Social Environment 3 credits
SOCW 240 Communication and Counseling Skills 3 credits
SOCW 260 Diverse Populations: Human Rights & Justice 3 credits
SOCW 356 Generalist Practice with Individuals 3 credits
SOCW 376 Junior Integrative Seminar 2 credits
SOCW 386 Junior Field Experience 2 credits
SOCW 410 Social Welfare Policy: Analysis and Advocacy 3 credits
SOCW 455 Generalist Practice with Families and Groups 3 credits
SOCW 456 Generalist Practice with Organizations and Communities 3 credits
SOCW 475 Senior Integrative Seminar I 3 credits
SOCW 476 Senior Integrative Seminar II 3 credits
SOCW 485 Senior Field Experience I 4 credits
SOCW 486 Senior Field Experience II 4 credits
Additional Required Course
PSY 110 General Psychology 3 credits
SOC 110 Introduction to Sociology 3 credits
One of the following research methods sequences:
  • SOCW 365 Research and Statistics: Methods
  • SOCW 366 Research and Statistics: Implementations
  • SOC 319 Research Methods I: Quantitative Survey Analysis
  • SOC 320 Research Methods II: Data Analysis
  • PSY 201 Statistical Methods
  • PSY 202 Research Methods in Psychology
6 credits
TOTAL (Minimum) 51 credits
Students who wish to major or minor in social work must declare this intention with the university registrar and complete the departmental admissions process. Current students who have already been admitted to Valparaiso University and wish to declare social work as a major or minor should complete the following forms:
University-Level Process
First-year students who enter the university with a declared social work major need take no further action at the university level. Students who wish to transfer from either another department or an exploratory major must complete the proper university-level paperwork to declare a social work major and submit it to the Office of the Registrar no later than May 1st of the sophomore year.
Department-Level Process
Both students who enter the university with social work as a declared major and students who change majors must complete the departmental admissions process no later than September 30th of the junior year. In order to have the process completed by this date, it must be initiated as soon as possible after entering the university or declaring the social work major with the university registrar. The departmental admissions process is fully explained in the admissions materials which must be obtained from the Department of Social Work office in Meier Hall or via email from Requirements for formal admission include:
  1. A strong desire to serve while promoting human and community well-being.
  2. A cumulative overall university grade point average of 2.0.
  3. A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 in all Department of Social Work classes.
  4. Completion of all paperwork included in the admissions materials which must exhibit college-level writing skills. Should any piece of writing submitted with the admissions application not meet faculty expectations for quality, it will be returned to the applicant for re-writing.
  5. A formal interview with a member or members of the social work faculty.
In exceptional circumstances, a student may be admitted to the department with a cumulative grade point average lower than 2.0 and/or a social work grade point average lower than 2.5. In such circumstances, a student would be admitted to the department on conditional major status and encouraged to raise their overall grade point average to 2.0 and/or their social work department grade point average to 2.5 in order to remain a social work major.
These comprehensive fees cover costs for required classroom activities and co-curricular events, as well as field education. This amount is based on a student’s year in school and the experiences in which each student will partake for that upcoming year. Currently, these fees are set at:
  • $90 each year for first and second year students
  • $350 each year for third and fourth year students
Because students graduate from the Department of Social Work with a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree, students wishing to have a major in addition to social work must declare social work as their first major. Those who desire to enhance their learning by pursuing co-curricular plans of a double major or minor are encouraged to do so.