Sociology and criminology students at Valpo receive a broad education that combines the best of the liberal arts tradition with the practicalities of job-related skills. Graduates are prepared for both graduate school and jobs right after graduation. Students are prepared to work in fields as diverse as criminal justice, law, social services, government/politics, education, healthcare, social services, business, and the non-profit sector.
Where do our students go?
Recent sociology and criminology graduates have found success at the following graduate schools and job placements. For more, check out our Where Are They Now? page for an interview with a recent graduate, and information on where certain graduates go after Valpo.
- Drexel University
- Loyola University Chicago
- Tulane University
- Arizona State University (Master’s – Criminal Justice)
- IUPUI (MPH – Epidemiology and Social Behavioral Sciences)
- Michigan State University (Master’s – Criminal Justice)
- Valparaiso University (Master’s – Clinical Mental Health Counseling)
- University of Chicago (Master’s – School of Social Service Administration)
- University of Illinois (Master’s – Social Work)
- Army National Guard (Intelligence Analyst)
- Dobberstein Law Firm, LLC (Paralegal/Legal Assistant)
- Indiana State Police (Forensic Scientist IV; Trooper)
- Indiana State Prison (Correctional Officer)
- McLean County Sheriff’s Department (Deputy Sheriff)
- Porter County PACT (Case Manager)
- Porter County Juvenile Detention Center
- Pennsylvania Department of Corrections
- State of Wisconsin’s Department of Justice (Victim’s Service Specialist)
- Teach for America (Lead Teacher)
- Upward Bound/Boys and Girls Club of Greater Fort Worth
- United States Probation/Pretrial Service (Probation Officer)