Student Senate is proud to support a wide range of student organizations (see below) that enrich the student experience on the Valpo campus. Student organizations that become recognized by Student Senate are eligible for the following benefits:
- Request funding for your organization
- Apply for office space
- Receive an organization mailbox in the Harre Union Student Organization Suite
- Apply for a web page (DOC)
- Reserve rooms in most campus locations
- Advertise in designated campus locations
- Request certain IT resources for your organization, including voicemail, mailing listservs, and shared email addresses
- Use University Marketing Standards developed for student organizations by the Integrated Marketing and Communications office.
Student organizations are expected to adhere to all applicable University regulations and to exercise good judgment in planning and promoting their activities.
List of recognized student organizations and descriptions (as of Spring 2020)
Asian American Pacific Islander Coalition (AAPIC)
- The Asian American Pacific Islander Coalition or AAPIC hopes to raise awareness of the Asian population at Valparaiso University. They hold events that focus on different countries in Asia. Typically, they will hold food events for the community can try the different flavors of the world.
- Alliance creates a safe space for students to explore identity and culture of the LGBTQ community. They meet every other Thursday at 7 pm at the Gandhi King Center.
Black Student Organization (BSO)
- The Black Student Organization or BSO is an organization that provide educational and community to the fellow African American students. Their biggest event happens around February when they celebrate Black History Month and showcase their cultural and attributions to this University.
College Mentors for Kids
- An organization that is held every year around the beginning of April. The committee and community work together to help raise money for cancer patients at Ann and Robert Lurie’s Children Hospital by dancing for 12 hours.
- Valparaiso is proud to be one of the few Universities that is operated under student run honor system. The council reassures students understanding of the commitment of their class, and provide evidence otherwise when the honor system is broken.
LatinX in Valparaiso for Excellence (LIVE)
- Latinos in Valparaiso for Excellence strives to provide cultural, academic and social support to Latinx/Hispanic students. As an all inclusive and welcoming organization, LIVE looks to educate and celebrate Latino culture in order to foster new leaders. As the Latinx student population continues to steadily increase, LIVE is challenged with creating new opportunities in order to better serve the Valpo community.
- The Social Action Leadership Team (SALT) is the social justice ministry of the Chapel of the Resurrection at Valparaiso University. As a community, students seek to embody the Christian call to be the “salt of the earth” (Matt 5:13). SALT members are equipped to lead lives of social justice and serve as agents for positive change in their communities.
- Students are dedicated every year to capture the history of each event that happens on campus. Those moments are then bound by these students to create a book full of memories.
- An award-winning journal of literature and art, published semesterly, that welcomes submissions from all Valparaiso University students. We invite you to submit your own creative pieces (in prose, poetry, or art categories) or be on the selection committees to decide what we publish. To get involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Communication students work together to provide the most up to date events that happen within the last week to be published in the weekly newspaper. These students dedicate hours to provide rich information of what had happened at the University.
University Programming Council (UPC)
- Our committee provides fun and festive activities that the students at Valparaiso University would enjoy. These activities are to help students take a break from their busy day and experience some of Valparaiso’s local events and activities.
Valparaiso University Television (VUTV)
- Student run group, that broadcast information news. They are on the move when they hear what is happening around campus.
- The students of the College of Engineering holds a club that dedicates themselves to show their skills through building robots. They reach out to the community to teach them how to build robots and compete with other schools to showcase their projects.
Valparaiso International Students Association (VISA)
- The Valparaiso International Student Association is committed to support, educate and enhancing an inclusive campus environment among the international students and Americans. They advocate to bring diversity and culture to the community.
- So do you think you can dance? If not, Valparaiso University Ballroom hold social dances to teach the community how to Cha-Cha, Rumba, Merengue and much more. Not only do they dance for the community, they compete with neighboring schools.
Working Across Vocations Everywhere through Service (WAVES)
- WAVES is service-based organization consisting of University students that work to design projects for underdeveloped community. They work with the community to come up a with solution that doesn’t automatically fix the problem, but to come up with a remedy.
WVUR: The Source
- The Source is a radio station run by students. These students keep their friends updated with what is going on around the campus. They provide safe, efficient, and friendly news that allows the campus to have a pleasant.
Alliance of Healthcare Professionals
Alpha Phi Omega (APO)
- The purpose of this co-ed fraternity is to assemble college students in a national service fraternity in the fellowship of principles derived from the Scout Oath and Law of the Boy Scouts of America — to develop leadership, promote friendship, provide service to humanity, and further the freedom inherent in our national, educational, and intellectual heritage.
Alpha Psi Omega
- Alpha Psi Omega is an honorary theatre fraternity dedicated to honoring students involved with the theatre department, both on and off the stage. Alpha Psi Omega produces events such as Shakespeare Under the Stars, Masquerade Ball, and Evening of Scenes.
American Choral Director’s Association (ACDA)
- The American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) is an organization dedicated to the promotion of choral music in the areas of artistry, singing, composition, and teaching. We focus on bringing speakers to campus to present on topics regarding choral music and also travel to attend conferences and professional performances.
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- The objective of this society is to provide engineers with a better understanding of the profession through hands-on projects, field trips, service projects, guest speakers, and conferences. The chapter will also strive to encourage effective teamwork skills and provide key interaction with the engineering profession.
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- ASME is an engineering organization that builds cool stuff! We also have great chapter events which include going on trips and conferences such as the Chicago Auto Show and the International Manufacturing Trade Show. We also participate in TED (Tired Engineers Day) activities and are fierce competitors!
- This is an organization of students interested in learning, appreciating, discussing, and participating in events related to biology. The purpose is to bring together people inspired by the field of biology.
- The object of this organization shall be to afford an opportunity for all students interested in chemistry to secure the intellectual stimulation which arises from professional contacts, educational tours, and movies; to secure experience in preparing and presenting technical materials before an audience; and to foster a professional spirit among the members, especially through membership in the American Chemical Society as Student Affiliates.
Chi Epsilon Pi
- Chi Epsilon Pi is the meteorological honor society, dedicated to recognizing high achievement in meteorology and promoting the understanding of meteorology as a science.
- Valpo Club Tennis gives students an opportunity to play tennis in college without the stress and time commitment involved with a varsity team. We occasionally travel to other schools to compete in tournaments, and we welcome anybody from novice to expert.
Delta Sigma Pi
- Delta Sigma Pi is a professional fraternity organized to foster the study of business in universities. We are a national fraternity that is comprised of both men and women. Delta Sigma Pi is a great way to further your professional goals while building a brotherhood that will last a lifetime. Our membership is open to business and economics majors only. Contact information can be found on our Valpo website.
- A group that works to help the environment and promotes good environmental practices across campus.
Financial Management Association (FMA)
- Financial Management Association (FMA) is a new financial organization where we learn about and practice analyzing companies, maintaining stock portfolios, and discussing current financial issues within our group and amongst financial professionals.
Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- IEEE is an organization for those with an interest in electrical and computer engineering, including those from other disciplines. We organize a variety of activities each year related to that topic, including field trips, technical speakers, volunteer service activities, and several social events.
- Mock Trial is a group of dedicated students that put forth an effort to have their day in court. These students all play a part in a “mock” courtroom and case that allow students to get experience in a safe and competitive environment.
Muslim Student Association
Northwest Indiana Student Chapter of AMS/NWA
- The Northwest Indiana Student Chapter shall pursue the goals outlined by the American Meteorological Society and National Weather Association through the advancement of the discipline of meteorology in the local area and shall abide by the policies and provisions set forth in the chapter constitution and bylaws.
Public Relations Student Society of America
Sigma Alpha Iota
- The sorority of singing and performance at Valparaiso University. Focused on the performing arts and dedicated to promoting music in Greek life.
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- A group of engineers who have a passion for designing and building cars, from go-karts to Supermileage vehicles. We have bi-weekly meetings and lab/build time. This is a great chance to develop or further enhance your engineering skills in a very applicable way as well as enjoy things together like the Chicago Auto show. Facebook: Valparaiso University Society of Automotive Engineers.
Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is a special interest organization. SWE puts on events for members as well as community service events. Our main goal is get more women involved in engineering. Women only make up 20 percent of engineers in college.
Student Alumni Association
Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society)
- The Tau Beta Pi Association recognizes scholarship and exemplary character of students and alumni in the field of engineering. Tau Beta Pi fosters a spirit of liberal culture in engineering.
The Athena Society
Valparaiso Men’s Ultimate Frisbee
- Men’s Club Ultimate seeks to provide a fun environment for male students who seek to competitively participate in Ultimate Frisbee at Valparaiso University. Contact us at email@example.com for more information, or follow us on twitter @ValpoUltimate.
Valparaiso University African Students Association
VU Men’s Club Soccer
- The purpose of the Men’s Club Soccer Organization is to provide students with an opportunity to compete on a nonvarsity intercollegiate soccer team.
VUDU Comedy Improv
- Valparaiso University’s Improv Comedy Troupe shows once a month, rehearsals once a day, innuendos once a minute
Women’s Ultimate Frisbee
- The Women’s Ultimate Frisbee club aims to provide a fun, competitive environment for University students who regularly play Frisbee, a chance to improve physical health, and opportunities to form positive relationships with Valpo students and with other universities through Frisbee tournaments.
5 Year PA Club (5PAC)
- A group to help the 5 years PA program, assist in finding jobs internships and working through classes.
Association of Computing Machinery – W
- A service and volunteer organization that works and serves with the greater valpo community.
- Shares the knowledge of criminology and promotes growth and career development in criminal justice related fields.
Epsilon Nu Tau
Federation of Authors
- Gathers to write and share their own stories and discuss them in an informal setting.
Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) is a student-led Christian organization, open to all students. FCA strives to develop men and women who aspire to grow closer to Jesus Christ through fellowship and serving others while glorifying God through athletics.
Gamma Theta Upsilon
- Honors society for the field of geography.
- Promotes events related to German culture and the German language through events and meetings on campus.
Health Care Leadership Student Association (HCLSA)
- Promotes the development of skills necessary to be leaders in the healthcare field.
Hooked on Tonics
Intervarsity Christian Fellowship
- Aims to advance communities of students who advocate for christianity.
Japan Student Association
- Dedicated to celebrating and promoting Japanese culture across campus.
National Association for Music Education
National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
Orthodox Christian Fellowship
Phi Beta Lambda
- Develops confident and aggressive business leadership.
Public Health Student Association
Sigma Tau Delta
- Valparaiso University chapter of the international English Honors society, Sigma Tau Delta.
Society of Hispanic Engineers
- Hosts several events across campus to promote Spanish culture.
Student Nurses Association
Student Social Work Organization (SSWO)
- Connects the social work community with the student body of Valparaiso.
Student Veterans of America
Valparaiso University Storm Intercept Team (VUSIT)
- A group within the meteorology department that primarily hosts speakers and chases storms.
Valparaiso University Quizbowl
- Encourages academic excellence across campus and increases awareness through the medium of academic competitions.
Valparaiso University Bioengineering
Valparaiso University Boxing Club
Valparaiso University College Democrats
Valparaiso University Emergency Management Organization
Valparaiso University’s Voices for Animals (VUVFA)
- A group that promotes and educates the valpo community on healthy vegan and vegetarian practices.
Valparaiso Women in Stem
- The female acapella group on Valparaiso’s campus.
- A group dedicated to creating a haunted house every year for campus and showing movies in the springtime.
- A place where Yugioh enthusiasts can play Yugioh related games together.
Eta Sigma Phi
Love Your Melon Campus Crew