Student Senate is proud to support a wide range of student organizations (see below) that enrich the student experience on the Valpo campus. Student organizations are expected to adhere to all applicable University regulations and to exercise good judgment in planning and promoting their activities. Student organizations that become recognized by Student Senate are eligible for the following benefits:
- Request funding for your organization
- Apply for office space
- Receive an organization mailbox in the Harre Union Student Organization Suite
- Apply for a web page (DOC)
- Reserve rooms in most campus locations
- Advertise in designated campus locations
- Request certain IT resources for your organization, including voicemail, mailing, and shared email addresses.
- Use University Marketing Standards developed for student organizations by the Integrated Marketing and Communications office.
List of recognized student organizations and descriptions (as of Spring 2021)
Tier I Organizations
- Alliance supports, educates and advocates for the LGBTQ+ community. We create a safe space on campus to explore your identity as well as create a sense of community with peers. We are not exclusively for people belonging to the LGBTQ+ community, we extend our club to our allies as well. Our goal is to help understand each other and ourselves better by discussing multiple topics and trying new things together!For updates about meetings and events, make sure to follow us on Instagram!
- Instagram: @ValpoAlliance
Asian American Pacific Islander Coalition (AAPIC)
- The Asian American Pacific Islander Coalition or AAPIC hopes to raise awareness of the Asian population at Valparaiso University. They hold events that focus on different countries in Asia. Typically, they will hold food events for the community can try the different flavors of the world.
Black Student Organization (BSO)
- The Black Student Organization or BSO is an organization that provide educational and community to the fellow African American students. Their biggest event happens around February when they celebrate Black History Month and showcase their cultural and attributions to this University.
College Mentors for Kids
- An organization that is held every year around the beginning of April. The committee and community work together to help raise money for cancer patients at Ann and Robert Lurie’s Children Hospital by dancing for 12 hours.
- Valparaiso is proud to be one of the few Universities that is operated under student run honor system. The council reassures students understanding of the commitment of their class, and provide evidence otherwise when the honor system is broken.
LatinX in Valparaiso for Excellence (LIVE)
- Latinos in Valparaiso for Excellence strives to provide cultural, academic and social support to Latinx/Hispanic students. As an all inclusive and welcoming organization, LIVE looks to educate and celebrate Latino culture in order to foster new leaders. As the Latinx student population continues to steadily increase, LIVE is challenged with creating new opportunities in order to better serve the Valpo community.
- The Social Action Leadership Team (SALT) is the social justice ministry of the Chapel of the Resurrection at Valparaiso University. As a community, students seek to embody the Christian call to be the “salt of the earth” (Matt 5:13). SALT members are equipped to lead lives of social justice and serve as agents for positive change in their communities.
- Students are dedicated every year to capture the history of each event that happens on campus. Those moments are then bound by these students to create a book full of memories.
- We are The Lighter, Valpo’s on-campus literary magazine. We accept and review a variety of literary and art submissions from the undergrad community at Valpo, including poetry, prose, photography, and art of varying mediums. The Lighter involves an anonymous selection committee which reviews all of our submissions and after decisions are made, we put together and design one issue of The Lighter per semester. The Lighter is meant to celebrate and showcase the talent and creativity on Valpo’s campus and is open to all in terms of submitting as well as getting involved with our selection committee.
- Website: The Lighter
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: @valpolighter
- Twitter: @_thelighter
- The Torch is an award winning student publication which takes pride is covering campus events and being one of the oldest campus organizations. At The Torch, students from any major can gain experience in writing, reporting, photography and graphic design. To get involved, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Website: The Torch
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: @valpotorch
- Twitter: @valpotorch
- Tik Tok: @valpotorch
University Programming Council (UPC)
- The University Programming Council (UPC) creates a welcoming space for students on campus to come together and have fun. We sponsor community building through fun, engaging events. Take a break from your homework to have some fun at trivia, Valpo After Dark, Valpo Vibes, and more!
- Website: UPC
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @valpoupc
- Twitter: @valpoupc
- Snapchat: @valpo.upc
- Facebook: Valpo UPC
Valparaiso University Television (VUTV)
- Student run group, that broadcast information news. They are on the move when they hear what is happening around campus.
- Valpo Robotics offers a competitive advantage to student development by facilitating active learning through practical experience in real world robotics design. The goal of this student organization is to design and build robots for various competitions, including VexU, National Robotic Football Competition and the Midwest Regional Design Competition. Membership in the Valparaiso University Robotics Team is open to all Valparaiso University students.
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: @valporobotics
- Twitter: @ValpoRobotics
Valparaiso International Students Association (VISA)
- The Valparaiso International Student Association is committed to support, educate and enhancing an inclusive campus environment among the international students and Americans. They advocate to bring diversity and culture to the community.
- Website: VISA
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @visa_valparaiso
- Twitter: @visa_valpo
- Snapchat: @vu_visa
- Tiktok: @valpo.visa
- Facebook: VISA Valparaiso
- So do you think you can dance? If not, Valparaiso University Ballroom hold social dances to teach the community how to Cha-Cha, Rumba, Merengue and much more. Not only do they dance for the community, they compete with neighboring schools.
Working Across Vocations Everywhere through Service (WAVES)
- WAVES is a service-based organization consisting of university students committed to collaborating with underdeveloped communities to design and implement sustainable projects in order to improve their quality of life. Guided by faculty and professional mentors, students employ engineering, nursing, business, education, and science skills to develop solutions that not only solve immediate problems but that remain viable after the projects have been completed.
- Website: WAVES
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: @waves_valpo
- Twitter: @WAVES_Valpo
- Snapchat: @waves-valpo
- Facebook: WAVES-Valparaiso University
WVUR: The Source
- The Source is a radio station run by students. These students keep their friends updated with what is going on around the campus. They provide safe, efficient, and friendly news that allows the campus to have a pleasant.
Tier II Organizations
African Students Association
Alliance of Healthcare Professionals
Alpha Phi Omega (APO)
- Alpha Phi Omega is a national coeducational service fraternity founded on the principles of Leadership, Friendship and Service. It provides its members the opportunity to develop leadership skills as they volunteer on their campus, in their community, to the nation, and to the fraternity. The Zeta Gamma chapter has been active on Valparaiso University’s Campus for 72 years and counting.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @alphaphiomegazg
- Twitter: @ValpoAPO
Alpha Psi Omega
- Alpha Psi Omega is an honorary theatre fraternity dedicated to honoring students involved with the theatre department, both on and off the stage. Alpha Psi Omega produces events such as Shakespeare Under the Stars, Masquerade Ball, and Evening of Scenes.
American Choral Director’s Association (ACDA)
- The American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) is an organization dedicated to the promotion of choral music in the areas of artistry, singing, composition, and teaching. We focus on bringing speakers to campus to present on topics regarding choral music and also travel to attend conferences and professional performances.
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- The objective of this society is to provide engineers with a better understanding of the profession through hands-on projects, field trips, service projects, guest speakers, and conferences. The chapter will also strive to encourage effective teamwork skills and provide key interaction with the engineering profession.
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Our goal is to prepare students to hit the workforce after college by giving them practical, hands-on experience through group projects, soft skills development, and teamwork/community building. If designing/racing mini go-karts, developing underwater robots, or 3D printing solutions peaks your interest, please feel free to contact us through the email below.
- Email: email@example.com
The Athena Society
- The Athena Society is a group dedicated to promoting gender equality, women’s empowerment, and cross cultural exchange via on-campus educational events and conversation. We are an affiliate of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) and seek to be a welcoming place for all genders to engage in working toward intersectional feminism.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @athenasocietyvu
- Twitter: @athenasocietyvu
- Facebook: Valparaiso University Athena Society
- This is an organization of students interested in learning, appreciating, discussing, and participating in events related to biology. The purpose is to bring together people inspired by the field of biology.
- The object of this organization shall be to afford an opportunity for all students interested in chemistry to secure the intellectual stimulation which arises from professional contacts, educational tours, and movies; to secure experience in preparing and presenting technical materials before an audience; and to foster a professional spirit among the members, especially through membership in the American Chemical Society as Student Affiliates.
Chi Epsilon Pi
- Chi Epsilon Pi is the meteorological honor society, dedicated to recognizing high achievement in meteorology and promoting the understanding of meteorology as a science.
- Valpo Club Tennis gives students an opportunity to play tennis in college without the stress and time commitment involved with a varsity team. We occasionally travel to other schools to compete in tournaments, and we welcome anybody from novice to expert.
Delta Sigma Pi
- Delta Sigma Pi is a professional fraternity organized to foster the study of business in universities. We are a national fraternity that is comprised of both men and women. Delta Sigma Pi is a great way to further your professional goals while building a brotherhood that will last a lifetime. Our membership is open to business and economics majors only. Contact information can be found on our Valpo website.
- A group that works to help the environment and promotes good environmental practices across campus.
Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) is a student-led Christian organization, open to all students. FCA strives to develop men and women who aspire to grow closer to Jesus Christ through fellowship and serving others while glorifying God through athletics.
Financial Management Association (FMA)
- Financial Management Association (FMA) is a new financial organization where we learn about and practice analyzing companies, maintaining stock portfolios, and discussing current financial issues within our group and amongst financial professionals. We also focus on general business topics beyond the boundary of the finance world. Lastly, we focus on personal development in areas such as reviewing resumes, interview tips, polishing LinkedIn profiles and other important areas.
- Email: email@example.com
Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- IEEE is an organization for those with an interest in electrical and computer engineering, including those from other disciplines. We organize a variety of activities each year related to that topic, including field trips, technical speakers, volunteer service activities, and several social events.
Intervarsity Christian Fellowship
- Aims to advance communities of students who advocate for christianity.
Valparaiso Men’s Ultimate Frisbee
- Men’s Club Ultimate seeks to provide a fun environment for male students who seek to competitively participate in Ultimate Frisbee at Valparaiso University. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or follow us on twitter @ValpoUltimate.
- Mock Trial is a group of dedicated students that put forth an effort to have their day in court. These students all play a part in a “mock” courtroom and case that allow students to get experience in a safe and competitive environment.
Northwest Indiana Student Chapter of AMS/NWA
- The Northwest Indiana Student Chapter shall pursue the goals outlined by the American Meteorological Society and National Weather Association through the advancement of the discipline of meteorology in the local area and shall abide by the policies and provisions set forth in the chapter constitution and bylaws.
Public Relations Student Society of America
Sexual Assault Awareness Facilitative Education (SAAFE)
- SAAFE Advocates educate, inform, and bring awareness to the Valpo student community about various topics like Title IX, bystander awareness, healthy and unhealthy relationships, and campus resources. They become Peer Educator Certified and receive QPR Training. This group leads CORE presentations, hosts events, and facilitates group discussions about these topics.
Sigma Alpha Iota
- Sigma Alpha Iota is a Professional Women’s Music Fraternity that promotes music at Valparaiso University through performing arts and is dedicated to sharing and exemplifying music in and out of the campus community.
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: @sai_betalambda
- Twitter: @SAIBetaLambda
- Facebook: @SAIBetaLambda
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- A group of engineers who have a passion for designing and building cars, from go-karts to Supermileage vehicles. We have bi-weekly meetings and lab/build time. This is a great chance to develop or further enhance your engineering skills in a very applicable way as well as enjoy things together like the Chicago Auto show. Facebook: Valparaiso University Society of Automotive Engineers.
Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is a special interest organization. SWE puts on events for members as well as community service events. Our main goal is get more women involved in engineering. Women only make up 20 percent of engineers in college.
Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society)
- The Tau Beta Pi Association recognizes scholarship and exemplary character of students and alumni in the field of engineering. Tau Beta Pi fosters a spirit of liberal culture in engineering.
VUDU Comedy Improv
- Valparaiso University’s Improv Comedy Troupe shows once a month, rehearsals once a day, innuendos once a minute.
Women’s Ultimate Frisbee
- The Women’s Ultimate Frisbee club aims to provide a fun, competitive environment for University students who regularly play Frisbee, a chance to improve physical health, and opportunities to form positive relationships with Valpo students and with other universities through Frisbee tournaments.
Tier III Organizations
5 Year PA Club (5PAC)
- A group to help the 5 years PA program, assist in finding jobs internships and working through classes.
American Society of Biomechanics
Association of Computing Machinery
Valparaiso University Boxing Club
- A service and volunteer organization that works and serves with the greater valpo community.
Eta Sigma Phi
Gamma Theta Upsilon
- Honors society for the field of geography.
- A group dedicated to creating a haunted house every year for campus and showing movies in the springtime.
Health Care Leadership Student Association (HCLSA)
- We promote the development of skills necessary to be leaders in the healthcare field; help with networking and growth within the Health Care Leadership major; hold volunteering, philanthropy events, and monthly meetings
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @valpo_hclsa
Hooked on Tonics
- Valpo’s only mixed a cappella group. We aim to bring music to the Valpo campus and community by putting on concerts and performing at philanthropy events, cabarets, Dance Marathon, coffee houses, nursing homes, and more. Auditions are in August and are open to any undergraduate student of any major.
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: @valpohookedontonics
- Facebook: @valpohookedontonics
- Dedicated to celebrating and promoting Japanese culture across campus.
National Association for Music Education
National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
Orthodox Christian Fellowship
- Orthodox Christian Fellowship is the place to experience the Eastern Orthodox Church on campus. Our regular meetings include discussions about relevant topics guided by local clergy, social events with each other through activities and retreats, service projects, and worship services in the chapel. No matter who you are or what your faith background is, we’d love for you to join us and experience what we have to offer!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @valpo_ocf
Sigma Tau Delta
- Kappa Phi Chapter of the International English Honor Society, Sigma Tau Delta. Our Vision: Transforming the World with Words.
- Website: Sigma Tau Delta
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: @sigmataudeltavu
- Twitter: @sigmataudeltavu
- Facebook: @valposigmataudelta
Society of Hispanic Engineers
- Hosts several events across campus to promote Spanish culture.
Valparaiso University Storm Intercept Team (VUSIT)
- Valparaiso University Storm Intercept Team is a group within the meteorology department that hosts alumni and professional speakers, organizes storm chases during severe weather outbreaks, and conducts case studies of past meteorological events to give students an interactive, hands-on, and example-based way of learning about the weather.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @valpovusit
- Twitter: @valpostorm
Student Athlete Advisory Committee
Valparaiso University Emergency Management Organization
Valparaiso University’s Voices for Animals (VUVFA)
- A group that promotes and educates the Valpo community on healthy vegan and vegetarian practices.