Indiana Tobacco Quitline
Indiana Tobacco Quitline
The Indiana Tobacco Quitline assists:
- Tobacco users, in any stage of readiness, to quit
- Pregnant smokers
- Smokeless tobacco users
- Former smokers who want relapse prevention support
- Friends and relatives of tobacco users who want to offer support
If you need information about pharmacotherapy interactions and contraindications, nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) dosages, etc., visit QuitNowIndiana.com or call the Quitline at 1-800-QUIT-NOW for free information.
When a patient calls the Quitline, a trained Quit Coach will provide:
- An assessment of readiness to quit
- A customized quit plan
- Motivation and problem-solving advice
- Up-to-date information about nicotine replacement therapy
- A Quit Kit, including materials in English or Spanish, tailored for your patient’s needs
- Referral to cessation services offered by local resources or by health plans
Quitline staff are skilled in working with people who use all forms of tobacco products, including smokeless tobacco, pipes, cigars, and e-cigarettes.
Are you ready to make a change in your life? Are you ready to take back control? The Indiana Tobacco Quitline knows how hard it is to quit. We know that it may take several attempts, but we are here to walk you through it every step of the way. We’ll find ways to help you curb the cravings. Your health will improve and you will feel the benefits of living a tobacco-free life.
PROVIDERS CAN PLAY A KEY ROLE IN FIGHTING TOBACCO USE.
3 MINUTES OR LESS CAN SAVE LIVES
EVERY PATIENT / EVERY VISIT / NON-JUDGMENTAL
Ask if your patient uses tobacco.
Ask what kind of tobacco is used and how often.
Ask when was the last time the patient smoked or
used any type of tobacco.
QUITLINE SERVICES INCLUDE
One-on-one coaching for people who have decided to quit
Resources for Healthcare Providers who want to improve patient outcomes
Best Practices for Employers who want to implement smoke-free policies
Support for Family and Friends who want to help loved ones stop smoking
Tools for Tobacco Control partners to complement their current programs
THE PROGRAM WORKS
The participant sets their own quit date
– Tobacco user quits at a personal pace; the Quit Coach helps prepare quitters to be successful
Tools for coping with triggers & stress
– helps quitter conquer urges to smoke; they learn when, where the urges strike and how to cope
Meta-analysis of 13 studies shows 56% increase in quit rates when compared with self-help (Stead et al. 2004).
Surveys have indicated that smokers are several times more likely to use Quitline than they are to use a face-to-face program (McAfee et al. 1998, Zhu & Anderson 2000).
BE CLEAR / BE STRONG / BE PERSONAL
- Advise every tobacco user to quit. Quitting is the best decision.
- Advise those who weren’t successful with their previous quit attempts to try again.
- Employ a teachable moment: link health findings with advice. Quitting will help the patient and the health of their family.
FAX REFERRAL / ONLINE REFERRAL / E- REFERRAL
- Refer patients to 1.800.Quit.Now.
Web-based online referral portal.
E-referral if your health system is setup.
Complete all sections of the referrals, including patient information, and sign for
consent as required by HIPAA. Fax forms to: 1-800-483-3114. The Indiana Tobacco Quitline will fax a follow-up report back to your office.
The free Quit Now Indiana Preferred Employer Program gives companies proven, professional resources to help employees kick their addiction to tobacco.
Most Hoosiers who smoke want to quit. By becoming a Quit Now Preferred Employer, you can help your employees break their tobacco addiction.
BENEFITS OF BEING A QUIT NOW PREFERRED EMPLOYER:
As a Quit Now Preferred Employer, you will have access to free resources and services to help employees quit tobacco.
Employee cessation can have numerous benefits to employers, including:
- Reduced workers’ compensation
- Reduced employee healthcare costs
- Reduced employee absenteeism and increased productivity
- Improved employee health and morale.
As a Quit Now Preferred Employer, you receive:
- Ability to refer employees to the Indiana Tobacco Quitline
- Materials to educate employees about tobacco use and the Quitline
- Updates on new resources, research and Quitline promotional materials
- Monthly summary of the number of employees who were referred to the program.
(Due to HIPAA regulation, specific employee data cannot be provided.)
Enrollment as a Quit Now Preferred Employer is quick, simple, and free. Follow the link to enroll as a Preferred Employer. If you have any questions, please call 317-234-1787.
Indiana Tobacco Quitline now offers a new Individual Services program that provides you with the greatest flexibility by offering you a choice of quit tools. You can pick and choose what works best for you. Choose one or all the tools offered. In other words, design your customized quit program.
The Individual Services program consists of four service offerings, which are managed with assistance from a quit agent or via an online dashboard.
- NRT Starter Kit Plus One Follow-up Call
Free nicotine replacement therapy products (patches or gum)
- Quit Guide and Materials
Participants receive a quit book that helps stick with a personalized quitting plan
- Email Program
Email messages will help participants stay on track with their quit goals
- Text Messaging (Text2Start)
Indiana is making it easier to quit tobacco. Simply text READY to 200-400 to register for free services from 1-800-QUIT-NOW
- Text READY to 200-400
- Answer 3 questions: Name, Zip Code, and permission to call/leave a message
- A professional quit coach will call you within 48 hours to enroll in services.
You must be committed to live tobacco-free. Start now. Congratulations on making the decision to quit.