Support your dream.
In addition to Valparaiso University’s generous need-based aid and merit awards, the theatre department is pleased to offer several scholarships each year to incoming theatre majors. The awards are given based on an interview and either an audition (actors) or portfolio review (technicians).
- At least $1000/year for four years
- Awarded to select incoming first-year students who pursue theatre as a first or second major
- Interested students must participate in auditions/interviews (see below)
- Renewable by maintaining a theatre major with a 3.0 GPA in theatre classes
For more information about scholarships and to apply, interested students should contact email@example.com.
The scholarship competition dates for incoming fall 2019 students will be held on Saturday, February 9 and Saturday, February 16, 2019. Interested students must apply and be admitted to Valparaiso University prior to their interview/audition. The scholarship results are announced on or before March 1.
All applicants complete an interview with members of the department. Participants should bring:
- A letter of recommendation from a high school teacher who is familiar with the student’s work in theatre
- A resume or portfolio summarizing the student’s theatre participation
Demonstration of Work
All applicants will also demonstrate their work, either through a live audition or through a review of their portfolio.
Prospective students interested in design, technical production, and directing should bring materials documenting their work. These will be reviewed with the student during the interview.
Prospective students interested in acting should prepare either:
- Two contrasting monologues of 1-2 minutes each, or
- One monologue and one song. Students choosing this option must indicate if they will need an accompanist for their audition.
If you are unable to attend an on-campus audition/interview date, you may submit a full video audition instead. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. for more information