When planning events on campus, it is important to be familiar with campus rules, policies, and procedures. This guide is meant as a resource for all student organizations, their leaders, and advisors to ensure the success of their organizations and events.
This resource is updated and organized by the Harre Union and Student Activities staff. If you have questions about any of the details, policies, or procedures listed within this guide, please contact the Assistant Director of Student Activities, Ryan Bye, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 219.464.5007.
Student Activities Forms
- Advisor Agreement Form
- Student Organization Officer & Contact Update Form
- Student Organization Email Request Form
- Meet Me at the Union Event Submission
- Student Activities Fair Application
- Making Campus Reservations
- Selling Tickets for your Event
- UPC Equipment Rentals
- Games Area Rentals
- Fundraising Event Request
- University Branding Guidelines and Expectations
- Ordering Apparel, Trophies, Giveaways and Awards with the Valpo Logo (Approved Vendor List)
- Digital Signage in the Union
- Marketing Your Organization: Lead Valpo ToolKit
- Contracts (must go through the Director of the Harre Union, email@example.com, for approval)
- Dining Services – Catering
- Dining Services Food Release (must get from Dining Services): Dining Services is the sole provider of food service for Valparaiso University and no other vendor or purchased food from outside may be allowed on premises for functions. Internal groups (student organizations) are allowed to request a dining services food release to use another source for food service. Release must be approved by Dining Services and fit within the provided exemptions.
- Emergency Procedures
- Film/Movie Viewing: Organizations or those wishing to show copyrighted visual materials, such as films, cannot confirm reserved space or advertise any event in which the film is to be shown until a copy of the licensing agreement obtained by the organization has been provided to the Union Administration and Student Activities offices. Failure to do so will result in suspension of an organization’s privilege to reserve space on-campus for a period of time. For more information on the university’s copyright policy please visit this link, and for more information on understanding copyright laws please visit this link.
- General University Policies
- Liability Waivers: Liability waivers should be signed for all events that include any activity that has inherent hazards or where someone could be injured. Please download this liability waiver and have all participants sign it before participating in said activity. Additionally, please keep these liability waivers in a safe place for seven years.
- Procedure for Pre-Approving Student Org. Purchases Made With a VU-Issued Credit Card
- Student Travel
For information regarding Student Senate policies, forms, and contacts, please see their website. valpo.edu/student-senate.
The Office of Information Technology (IT) provides online presentations that can assist Student Organizations with a wide variety of topics including; productivity, leadership, management, communication, social media, promotion, and networking. Please visit the list of Lynda courses here.
One crucial aspect of all Student Senate recognized organizations is that they have a faculty or staff advisor. In order to better serve these amazing volunteers we have compiled this resource in the form of a Student Organization Advisor’s Manual. As the manual states please do not hesitate to reach out to the Student Organization or Assistant Director for Student Activities.
Are you interested in hosting a charity/fundraiser run or walk? Please fill out this form to request to host a fundraiser or awareness run/walk event on Valparaiso Universities campus. Below are all the necessary steps to get a walk/run event approved on-campus. Please note that all walk/run events should be tied to an awareness-raising issue and if a registration fee is required there should be a fundraising element.
Step 1: Fill out the Run/Walk request form (you will need to attach a map of the proposed route)
Step 2: Meet with or receive confirmation from the Assistant Director of Student Activities
Step 3: Meet with the Assistant Chief of Police (Valparaiso University Police Department)
Step 4: Fill out the Fundraising Event Request Form