Harre Union › Areas in the Union › Mail Services ›
University Mail Center
University Mail Center
The University Mail Center processes and delivers all campus mail as well as offers many services to make your mailing experience simple. Our goal is to meet our deadlines in a courteous and knowledgeable way. Help us reach this goal by properly preparing your mailings to postal standards.
- 8:30 am: Post Office
- 9:15 am: SMS
- 9:30 am – 10:20 am: Resume to sort all mail
- 10:30 am: Begin delivery and pick-up to Urschel, Schnabel, Gellersen Center, Meier Hall, Center for the Sciences, Kretzmann Hall, Welcome Center, Linwood House, Christopher Center, Mueller, Loke, Dickmeyer, Facilities Management, Athletics-Recreation Center, College of Arts and Sciences, Chapel of the Resurrection, Neils Science Center, Center for the Arts
- 11:55 am: Unload truck at Mail Center
- 1 pm: Begin delivery and pick-up to Counseling Center (Alumni Hall), Promenade, Health Center, LeBien Annex B, VUPD, LeBien, Harre Union, Kretzmann Hall
- 2 pm: Arrive at Mail Center
- 2:30 pm: Leave for Post Office
- 4 pm: End of day
- Priority Mail: 1 – 3 business days. You may use your own box or one of the various USPS flat rate options.
- First Class Mail: 1 – 3 business days. This service is for single-piece envelopes and small packages weighing up to 13 oz. May include a surcharge if your envelope has an unusual shape or contains bulky items. You may add tracking, signature and delivery confirmation or certified services to your mail.
- Standard Post: 2 – 8 business days. Reliable and economical ground service for less-than-urgent deliveries and oversized packages.
- Media Mail: 2 – 8 business days. This is a cost-effective way to send educational materials, such as books, CD’s, DVD’s, manuscripts, sheet music, etc. This service can be opened for postal inspections.
- Stuffers: stuffers are brochures, flyers, and other mail that is not addressed to a particular person and distributed through campus mail. For distributions to faculty and staff the quantities are 910; for faculty only 410.
- International Mail: attach your International Mail Request Form (goldenrod color). Mark the form appropriately; spell out the country name and Capitalize it; request a Customs form if your piece weighs more than 16 oz. and place in top left corner then put the return address underneath the custom form.
We are an official UPS package pick-up site.
- Our pick-up time is 2:30pm.
- You may contact UPS at 1.800.742.5877 or visit www.ups.com for package pick-up or drop it off at the Mail Center. You may also go to Student Mail Services in the Union
- ALWAYS watch what you sign for – You are responsible for that package.
- Please use a return address.
- Posting all your daily mail
- Sorting, separating and delivering all incoming University mail
- Providing forms, boxes and envelopes for Certified, Express, Priority and International mail
- Saving boxes and packaging materials for your personal or departmental use
- Recycling rubber bands, paper clips, etc. – call when you are running low
- Selling up to 20 stamps per visit – CASH OR CHECK ONLY
- Collecting empty toner and inkjets for University recycling
- Applying labels, collating and folding letters
- Hand inserting for all types of envelopes
- Processing UPS packages and serving as a drop off and pick up location
- Comparison shopping rates between USPS and UPS
- Same day shipping for all mail that arrives at the mail center before 2:30pm.
- Process packages with discounted rates with same quality USPS or UPS delivery.
We send out mailings for all Valpo Departments and Valpo Affiliations.
- First class discount: minimum – 500 pieces
- Third class discount: minimum – 200 pieces
Fill out the Mass Mailing Request Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your mailings.
As part of the Mass Mailing Service, we will:
- Maintain mailing permits
- Prepare required USPS documents
- Print CASS certified and NCOA reports to ensure your mail is promptly delivered.
- Barcode each piece for faster delivery
- Direct Impression envelopes for a cleaner look
- Print personalized letters
- Apply address labels and stamps
- Match letter to envelope mailing
- Hand insert into #10, 6″ x 9″, or 9″ x 12″ envelopes
- Machine fold: large size fold, Z-fold, tri-fold, half-fold
- Collate materials
- Hang tabbing
- Contact us when changing departments or moving to another building to ensure proper mail delivery.
- Include your department name in your return address in the event your mail is returned.
- If you have more than two tubs of outgoing mail, please call us in advance of pickup.
- We do not pick-up big/heavy processed UPS packages (but you may bring them here).
- The Mail Center only accepts cash or check.
- Make sure all mail is facing the same way with the envelope flaps down. Rubber band it together with your domestic mail form (DMR) or International request form.
- Place all spiral or bound materials at the bottom of envelope.
- All clasps must be covered with tape.
- Do not use staples to seal envelopes.
- All binding should be positioned at the bottom of the envelope. Most bindings will not pass through our machine properly.
- Tabbing: Always put the fold of your self mailer at the bottom. Apply two tabs on the open top of your piece.
- Only use an indicia or prepaid envelope when sending a mass mailing. You must cover the indicia. Call us and we will explain the easiest way to cover it.
- Sealing Envelopes: our meter will apply postage and seal at the same time, only if the flap of the envelopes is above (not on the side) of the placement of the postage. Seal envelopes ahead of time if the thickness is more than 3/8″.
- Postcards should be uniform in size and shape; use lighter colors for the address; use quality paper stock.