VALPO Magazine

For eight decades, VALPO magazine has served as an important voice of Valparaiso University, providing alumni, friends, parents, and members of the local community a glimpse of the University’s character, mission, values, innovative ideas, and distinguished reputation.
Though it has taken many shapes and forms throughout its existence, the magazine continues to capture the Valpo spirit through a diverse array of stories and spotlights. Here is a brief look at the magazine through the ages, as it has explored some of the University’s most pivotal highlights and challenges.

 

photo-fromTheArchives-valpoMagazine1959 photo-fromTheArchives-valpoMagazine2000 photo-fromTheArchives-valpoMagazine2008 photo-fromTheArchives-valpoMagazine2012

1959

The VALPO Magazine has undergone several iterations since it was first published in the 1930s. The first version was called the Alumni News, as seen in the 1959 Centennial Issue. The magazine was also called the Valparaiso University Bulletin until the University adopted the VALPO Magazine in 1984.

2000

The Arts at Valpo have long been recognized as an important and prestigious component of the University’s liberal arts and Lutheran ethos. Open to all members of the student body, musical ensembles and theatre performances bring the campus and community together to participate in and appreciate a variety of art forms. The winter 2000 issue highlights the music department’s key performances at renowned venues such as Cleveland’s Severance Hall and Chicago’s Orchestra Hall at Symphony Center.

2008

In 2008, Valpo welcomed its 18th and current president, Mark A. Heckler, Ph.D. In his tenure, President Heckler has undertaken and implemented one of the most comprehensive strategic plans in Valpo’s history, which is still in progress today. The winter 2008-2009 issue highlights his first impression of the University, a place rich in community and tradition. It also includes his vision for our future, with an emphasis on growing Valpo’s diversity and international focus.

2012

Throughout the last decade, the campus has undergone a variety of trans­for­mations, including new building projects that have enhanced the campus landscape and provided new opportunities for student and faculty research projects and campus-wide organizations. One such building is the James S. Markiewicz Solar Energy Research Facility (SERF). Thanks to a generous gift from Jim and Joanne Markiewicz, the SERF puts Valparaiso University on the cutting edge of solar energy research.

photo-fromTheArchives-valpoMagazine1967 photo-fromTheArchives-valpoMagazine1985

1967

O.P. Kretzmann, one of the University’s most significant and influential presidents, announced his retirement in 1967 after 27 years of service to Valpo. He was most known for growing the campus and its enrollment and welcoming students of various backgrounds and cultures. His legacy continues both on campus and throughout the University’s global community.

1985

In 1985, Valpo celebrated one of its first Commencement ceremonies in the newly built Athletics-Recreation Center (ARC). The ARC remains an epicenter for Athletics, recreation, and the student experience, and thousands of exceptional May graduates have received their diplomas in the ensuing decades.