VALPO IN QUOTES

I have forgiven him. I have forgiven the Nazis. I didn’t set out to, I just stumbled on that idea, but the minute I did, all the hurt lifted from me. Forgiveness is my power to use anyway I wish, so if anyone has made you angry or hurt your feelings, you have the power to forgive them, not just for them, but for you. Once you’re a victim you cannot change it, but I forgive because I deserve to be free. It’s an act of self-empowerment.

EVA KOR, Holocaust Survivor, spoke on campus Nov. 12, 2018

The generosity of Phyllis and Dick Duesenberg has made a profound impact on the College of Arts and Sciences and is a key factor in Valpo being ranked in the top 10 for foreign language learning. The new endowed chair in French will secure the College’s commitment to educating students in French language and culture.

JON T. KILPINEN ’88, Ph.D., Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences

I am hopeful that young women somewhere see two female faces recognized by the national engineering honor society and think ‘cool, I can do that too’.

KRISTA STRIBLING ’18, alumna recently honored by Tau Beta Pi

In Luce Tua Videmus Lucem — In Thy Light We See Light. At Valpo, we offer another perspective on this tension between light and dark. That is, the metaphor of light as truth and darkness as ignorance. And because you are at a University whose ethos is informed by and imbued with the LutheranChristian tradition, all of us who are called to this place came here and work here to seek truth, serve generously, and cultivate hope. We believe that the innate curiosity that propels our pursuit of truth is a gift from God.

MARK A. HECKLER, PH.D., President, 2018 Opening Convocation

Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can.

LOWELL THOMAS ’11, Northwest Indiana Hall of Legends Induction, Dec. 12

We are excited to be celebrating the history and tradition of our Athletics and basketball programs by creating a modern practice and playing space in the building. We are also excited to honor Dale Kempf’s long-time contribution to Valpo and our students by placing his name on the court.

MARK LaBARBERA, Athletics Director, Dale F. Kempf Hilltop Court Dedication Sept. 28, 2018

I hope this gift for the environmental engineering lab will provide a facility to train and educate engineers for many years to come. If so, this is a wonderful investment.

DICK BEUMER ’59, recent Forever Valpo: The Campaign for Our Future Endowment announcement