Placement Information

If you are already on campus or are transferring to Valpo and plan to register for a language class next semester, you need to take the Language Placement Exam.

The purpose of the Language Placement Exam is to determine which Valpo language course you should take, for a language that you have previously studied in high school.  The exam will place you into a specific Valpo language course. After completing the course you will earn academic credit for this course. After completing the course you may also earn extra credits (retroactive credit) for some of the courses you skipped over with a high placement score.

Have you previously studied this language?

DO NOT TAKE the placement exam in this language if:
– You have never been exposed to this language
– You have only studied this language independently using software
• Register for 101 (the first semester course). 

DO TAKE the placement exam in this language if:
– You have taken this language in a traditional high school or junior high/middle school class
– You have studied this language through homeschooling
– You speak this language at home or with family
• Click the link below.

Login to all exams using the following: 
USERNAME: webexam
PASSWORD: valpo383

Begin Chinese Exam

Begin French Exam

Begin German Exam

Begin Japanese Exam

Begin Spanish Exam

During the regular registration period, the Department of World Languages and Cultures will forward placement scores to the Registrar every few days. If you are unable to register for a course after having taken the on-line exam, you should contact the exam administrator to confirm that your placement score has been forwarded to the Registrar.

Who should take the exam?

Any student who is thinking of studying a language previously studied in high school should take the exam, regardless of the language requirements for the student’s chosen major.

Is there a fee to take the exam?


May I take an exam in more than one language?


May I take the exam more than once in a given language?

Yes. We will look at any available scores when determining your placement. We generally use your highest score when determining your placement.

May I use outside assistance when taking the exam?

The use of outside assistance of any kind is prohibited when taking the placement exam. This includes assistance obtained through electronic or other means such as websites, dictionaries, textbooks, other individuals, etc. It would be to your disadvantage to use outside assistance since doing so might place you into a higher course for which you would not be properly prepared. Moreover, using outside assistance would also be a violation of the Valparaiso University Honor Code: “I have neither given or received nor have I tolerated others’ use of unauthorized aid.”

What if I plan to start a new language at Valpo?

If you plan to study a new language at VU (one that you did not study in high school), you do not need to take the exam for that language. You should consult with a faculty member within your major or the General Catalog to find out the General Education requirements for your degree program

I want to take a language class for elective credit (just for fun!) and not because my degree has a language requirement. Do I still need to take the exam?


What if I experience technical difficulties or have additional questions?

Contact the exam administrator.

How can I find out if my major has a language requirement?

You should consult with a faculty member within your major to find out the General Education requirements for your degree program.

Is it possible to earn retroactive credit?

Yes! If you place into 203 and then take and pass the course, you will earn 4 credits for 203 & 4 additional retroactive credits for 102. If you place into 204 or higher & then take and pass the course, you will earn 4 credits for the course & 8 retroactive additional credits for 102 & 203. More details available in the Undergraduate Catalog.

It is important that you consult with your advisor or a faculty member within your major to verify the specific requirements for your degree. If you have not yet chosen a major and are still unsure of your degree program, follow the guidelines for the Bachelor of Arts degree. Refer to the list of academic departments within the College of Arts and Sciences.

These degree programs have a language requirement:

  • B.A. (Bachelor of Arts)
  • B.M. (Bachelor of Music)
  • B.S.W. (Bachelor of Social Work)
  • B.S.B.A. (Bachelor of Science in Business Administration)
  • B.S.A. (Bachelor of Science in Accounting)
  • B.S. in Engineering (VIEP-German and VIEP-French students only)

These degree programs include language course(s) as an option to fulfill the Cultural Diversity requirement.

  • B.S. (Bachelor of Science)
  • B.S.F.A. (Bachelor of Science in Fine Arts)
  • B.S.P.E. (Bachelor of Science in Physical Education)
  • B.S. in Engineering (all degrees)

These degree programs do not have a language requirement. You may of course take a Valpo language course for elective credit.

  • B.M.Ed. (Bachelor of Music Education)
  • B.S.Ed. (Bachelor of Science Education)
  • B.S.N. (Bachelor of Science in Nursing)