There are several scholarship and award opportunities to pursue once you begin your Spanish studies at Valpo.
If you plan to major in Spanish at Valpo, you should apply for a World Languages and Cultures Scholarship during your senior year of high school ($1,000, renewable each year for a total of $4,000). Interested students are strongly encouraged to apply before December 1 for admission to the university.
Every year Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, offers Summer Undergraduate Scholarships to study in one of the following countries: Spain, Mexico, Ecuador, Bolivia, or Peru.
Valpo winners of the Sigma Delta Pi Summer Undergraduate Scholarship
- 2010 – Alison Eyer (Mexico)
- 2009 – Amy Liakopoulos (Spain)
- 2007 – Katie Fremont Miller (Mexico)
- 2007 – Eric Matul (Mexico)
- 2007 – Judy Velasco (Spain)
- 2006 – Katherine Peters (Bolivia)
- 2004 – Kathleen Madden (Mexico)
- 2003 – Catherine Devito (Mexico)
- 2003 – Christina Heisser (Mexico)
- 2002 – Matthew Landmeier (Spain)
Sigma Delta Pi also awards the Premio Gabriela Mistral, a national award for outstanding undergraduate students of Spanish.
Valpo recipients of the Premio Gabriela Mistral
- 2010 – 2011 Amy Liakopoulos (pictured here)
- 2009 – 2010 Alison Russell
- 2005 – 2006 Katherine Peters
- 2002 – 2003 Rose Ellen Gilbert
Learn how to become a member of Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society and the largest world language honor society in the world.