Dr. Albert G. Huegli was elected president of the University on December 14, 1968 and held the position until his retirement in 1978. During his tenure, the University experienced its largest graduating classes—more than 900 for seven consecutive years—and its endowment climbed from $1.7 million to over $10 million.
Before becoming president, Dr. Huegli served for seven years as the University's vice-president for academic affairs. Prior to coming to Valpo in 1961, he taught political science and history at St. John's College, Winfield, Kansas; at Northwestern University; and at Concordia Teachers College, River Forest, Illinois; where he also served as dean of students, academic dean, and director of the graduate division. Additionally, he was a consultant and examiner for the North Central Association regional accrediting agency and chairman of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod Board for Higher Education.
Dr. Huegli received the Bachelor of Divinity from Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, in 1936; the Master of Arts from the University of Michigan in 1937; the Bachelor of Arts in education from Wayne University in 1938, and the Doctor of Philosophy in political science from Northwestern University in 1944. He passed away on October 18th, 1998, at the age of 85.