THE “STARFISH SEVEN”
WHY VALPO IS USING STARFISH
Based on experiences from other universities, Starfish is expected to:
- Enhance communication between instructors, advisers, and staff
- Centralize advising resources
- Ensure students receive the help they need
- Save faculty time coordinating student support resources and scheduling appointments
- Improve student, faculty, and program success
- Increase the number of students passing courses
- Improve retention and graduation rates
The Starfish Story
A young man is walking along the ocean and sees a beach on which thousands and thousands of starfish have washed ashore. Further along he sees an old man, walking slowly and stooping often, picking up one starfish after another and tossing each one gently into the ocean.
“Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?” he asks.
“Because the sun is up and the tide is going out and if I don’t throw them further in they will die.”
“But, old man, don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it! You can’t possibly save them all, you can’t even save one-tenth of them. In fact, even if you work all day, your efforts won’t make any difference at all.”
The old man listened calmly and then bent down to pick up another starfish and threw it into the sea. “It made a difference to that one.”