Nearly 700 undergraduate and graduate students participated in Valparaiso University’s commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 19, and more than 150 law students will graduate on Saturday, May 25. The ceremonies cap an academic year that has been filled with record enrollment, campus improvements, prestigious recognition and continuing advancement for Valparaiso University.
“As another academic year comes to a close and the campus bursts in bright colors, I am reminded of the beauty and blessings that surround us every day at Valpo,” said Mark A. Heckler, PhD, Valparaiso University President. “I am grateful for all that our students, faculty and staff do to support the mission of Valparaiso University and contribute to this extraordinary place of learning and faith.”
Highlights for Valparaiso University’s 2012-2013 academic year include:
- In the fall, Valpo welcomed its largest incoming class since 1983.
- In September, Valpo was named to The Best College’s list of the 10 Most Innovative Colleges for Foreign Language Study.
- The University’s study-abroad programs in Cambridge, England, and Reutlingen, Germany, are celebrating their 45th year.
- The new Arts and Sciences Building, built to LEED Silver certification standards, was blessed in the fall semester.
- The Donald V. Fites Engineering Innovation Center was awarded LEED Platinum certification, the only higher education building in the state to achieve Platinum certification.
- Valpo’s men’s basketball team united Crusader fans near and far by winning the Horizon League Championship and earning a berth in the NCAA Tournament.
- The Bach Institute presented its triennial performance of Johann Sebastian Bach’s most beloved and inspirational piece, Mass in B Minor, featuring the Chorale and Bach Choir.
- During Spring Break, students, faculty and staff participated in service-learning trips throughout the country and the world, dedicating themselves to helping others.
- The fraternity and sorority community donated more than $35,000 to local and national nonprofits and completed more than 10,000 hours of hands-on community service.
- 2011-2012 graduates achieved a 96 percent placement rate, marking the 20th straight year of placement rates higher than 90 percent.
The 2013-2014 academic year kicks off Aug. 27 with the University’s annual Convocation and Taste of Valpo celebration. For more information about Valparaiso University, please contact Nicole Niemi at Nicole.Niemi@valpo.edu or 219.464.6010.